Trouble loading windows after dual linux mint

i cant open windows 10 after dual boot of linux mint…the grub menu is missing …i think i have messed up during installation. what to do?

You might want to try Boot Repair.

In any case, I hope you followed the advice of the Linux Mint installer to back up your Windows partition prior to installing Mint.

1 Like

@Aswin_Mathew… Login to Mint and and run lsblk to make sure your Windows partition
is still their. If it is then run sudo update-grub and see if grub can find W10.

2 Likes

i have run sudo update-grub but grub cant find W10…

yes…i followed itsfoss dual boot installation procedure … windows files are showing in the LM…but i dont know how to fix it…

@Aswin_Mathew, if I understand you correctly, grub is showing Linux Mint but not your Windows boot option. And you think Windows partition is intact. You can add Windows to grub, but it a little involved, but if you are comfortable editing a file in “/” as root here a procedure I used once that worked for me.

Look at the UUID of your Windows 10 partition, for exemple:
sudo blkid — write down or notice the uuid of your Windows partition or if you know Windows is on the 2nd partition, you could also type sudo blkid /dev/sda2
Then edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom, and at the end of the file add:
-or- if the entry is already there make sure the uuid is correct.

menuentry “Windows 10” --class windows --class os {
insmod ntfs
search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid “$your_uuid_here$”
ntldr /bootmgr
}

Don’t forget to change the UUID and save the changes.
And finally update your grub config file:
sudo update-grub

@Aswin_Mathew…Have you tried to install Grub Customizer, it can sometimes help.
These are the commands
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
sudo apt update
sudo apt install grub-customizer
You may have to boot with your mint cd or usb and reinstall grub.
Do you have MBR or GPT mode?

to be frank ,i really dont about MBR or GPT mode…i am need to this LInux OS … i just followed the Its foss dual boot procedure …nothing more…

@Aswin_Mathew…Would be glad to walk you through the tutorial, but I really need some
more info about your PC. Like type of PC, a screenshot of your drive would also help.
I am sorry, I have your post confused with another, please disregard this post.

1 Like