Trying out antiX linux

I have been using Linux Mint Mate since 2014, just a bit before Windows XP died.

I first installed Maya beside XP on a ASUS Tek Vento ( the machine I am writing this from ).

Then I installed XP on a DELL Latitude D830 and installed Maya by itself on my workhorse ( the one I bring to the fountain @Andy2 ).

I was guided to this particular distro by another Canadian at https://www.parrain-linux.com/,
a French site I have visited in early 2014. It was full of rude moderators ( not like @Mina and @Aikito ), but, with, at least, one sympathetic named Guillaume.

If I remember well, the other Canadian member, a Montrealer, told me something like : ‘Mint is the distro that looks most like XP’.

I do not care if he was right ot not, it fitted ( and still does ) fill my needs.

Nowadays, when I look at https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity I see
that Mint is lower ranked than in 2014 ;
that MX Linux and Manjaro are topping it ;
that MX Linux is a new one born in 2017.

When I look for the reasons Why MX Linux distro is popular ?
https://medium.com tells us that
MX Linux is a cooperative venture between the antiX and former MEPIS communities, using the best tools and talents from each distro. It is a mid weight OS designed to combine an elegant and efficient desktop with simple configuration, high stability, solid performance and medium-sized footprint.

So, I summarily looked for MEPIS and for antiX
and I found that antiX still exists as a distro while MEPIS died.

I will install antiX on three different computers
DELL Latitude D830
DELL Latitude e4310
HP p6506f
and report about it in the Trying out antiX linux thread started by @01101111.

Of course I will not install antiX beside a second OS in a second partition of the same disk.
I will give antiX all its chances.
Why make it difficult ?
K.I.S.S. is my preferred method.

1 Like

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to a distribution’s popularity on distrowatch. I guess, 90-95% of all downloads are made by distro-hoppers who just want to try out the latest craze.

A high download count does not necessarily correlate with a high user count. The number of hits in your preferred search engine or the activity in the distribution’s forum are far better indicators for a distribution’s actual relevance.

@Mina,
You are probably correct but

says:

DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more.

I guess, their English is as bad as mine.

Anyway I take it as a trend setter.
Not that I follow the trend.

Popularity and influences or Why are we using one distro and not the other.

Linux users are not, I repeat, are not going along with the crowd.

Sheep, A lame, generic person that has no thoughts of their own, so they conform to a trend.

Examples; 5 classifications.

1. A Civic- A person that buys only Import cars, tricks the car out the same way, listens to
    nothing but Rap music, blasts the bass too loud, and speaks with Ebonics.

2 A Gothhead- A person that listens to nothing but Metal & Goth music, smokes heavily, makes rude
comments, treats others with disrespect, and is an Atheist.

1. A White Poser- A White male or female that follows all trends that deal with the Black culture.
    Listens to nothing but Rap music, speaks in broken English, dresses like a thug, and drives a
    tricked-out car.

2. A Paris Hilton- A person that acts better then everyone else because they have money. Speaks in
    a very clean, but goofy American accent. Drives Cadillac’s and Lexus’s only, and excessively shops
    and spends money.

3. A Redneck- A person that speaks with a broken, Southern accent. Drives Ford & Chevy trucks.
    Hunts & Fishes. Listens to only Country music. Ignorant to other race, sexual, and Non-Christian
    issues.(A Redneck is not the same as a Southern person. A Redneck is Ignorant to anything but
    White issues. Often times Raciest and Homophobic)

I am very sorry if I disturbed anyone here.

2 Likes

Hi Roger - and Mina - good to see that you are making such progress in your chosen direction.
Having used DistroWatch extensively as does @Rosika could I just make a brief interjection by way of an observation…?

My take on the ranking list is that it is just a bit of fun…
I tend to read the review or at least just click on the distro and you will see a user rating. I lean towards this figure for my liking and purposes.

1 Like