Trying to upgrade Ubuntu 16.04 to 20.04

I want to upgrade my Ubuntu from 16.04 to 20.04, but whatever I have tried till now hasn’t worked. Recently I have discovered, thanks to Abhishek, that Toutatis from Trisquel Linux is on my Ubuntu Laptop! … I am just a newbie so don’t have much idea how this happened. … Can anyone here please help me in getting this sorted out?

What exactly have you tried and how? It’s difficult to help without information.

To be able to do that, you need to first provide a very elaborate step by step description of what exactly you tried to do and what exactly those results were. If it is too complicated to copy paste everything, you are welcome to take screenshots or make gifs.

2 Likes

I think at this point your best approach may be backing up all your important files. and download and do a fresh install of ubuntu 20.04. It will be far less confusing than trying to do an upgrade from 16.04 to 20.04 and should clean out any added stuff that may mess things up.
Good luck.

2 Likes

This sounds like a doable solution. … I have already backed up all of my files on an external hard drive. … Now how do I do a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 without going through the tedious process of upgrading to 18.04 and then to 20.04 ??

Well I am no expert and I am probably making completely wrong suggestions but what would do is download the live idk file, burn it to a USB stick, boot from it and then do a completely fresh install. For me that would be the easiest way to do it. The only problem I had was then changing my home directory to the one I had been using before I upgraded (it’s on a separate BIG disk drive) but there are plenty of explanations on the net on how to do that…just in case you need to.
Good luck!
Ute

1 Like

Go here and download the 20.04 .iso file Ubuntu-20.04
Then burn the .iso file to usb or dvd. Boot from the live disc. and make sure all your hardware works with that. There will be an install icon on the live desktop you can install from.
This page tells you how to do it. How to install Ubuntu
Good Luck.

1 Like

And do wipe the HDD first then install the Ubuntu Linux*