TuxedoOS experiences/discussion

I’ve recently been trying out some other distributions I’ve used before and checking out new ones, and I came across Tuxedo OS a few days ago. I installed it, and I’m quite impressed by it so far, though I’ve only used it for a few days.

It seems sort of like a “Pop!_OS but with KDE” of sorts, except ran by a different company. It’s a derivative of Ubuntu with no reliance on snap that keeps a more up-to-date kernel, Mesa, Pipewire, has Firefox in the repos, and has some quality-of-life stuff as well.

The main thing I’m liking most so far about it is that it has an up-to-date KDE Plasma version on a stable base. Similar to KDE Neon, except they hold back a week or two before pulling in new Plasma updates to make sure it doesn’t cause any packaging issues.

Has anyone else tried it before? I’m going to spend some more time with it, if it goes well, it seems like it could be a good daily driver for me. I was originally looking at KDE Neon before this since I want a newer KDE Plasma version without using a rolling-release distro as a daily driver, but this seems like a nice choice as well.

Looks like It’s FOSS has an article about it as well from last year. [Exclusive] Tuxedo Makes Ubuntu-based 'TUXEDO OS' Available For All

1 Like

Reading this and the article, my next computer will probably be a Tuxedo computer with this installed.

1 Like

That is a really good set of specs. Somewhat like Mint
but more up to date.
What are they doing about the init system?

1 Like

I’m not very knowledgeable about init systems, but I believe it’s using Systemd if that’s the answer

Yes, it is probably the same as Ubuntu.
I looked it up… yes it is systemd and fixed release.
It has a kernel which is optimised for Tuxedo hardware.
And the Calamares installer… should be an easy install.
Might be a suitable beginners option, especially if they purchased the hardware with it preinstalled.