Ubuntu 18.0.4.3 No operating system at POST

I have mis-configured my OS and have run boot-repair but I cannot solve the issue (which I created by accident)
I have the paste file available for an expert to inspect and would be VERY grateful for such expertise.
Thank you.
Bob Friendship, UK.

1 Like

It would help our community if you could do so Bob, as then people would have an idea what is what and be able to help you from that

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
The pastebin link is given herein.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/ZqYpByZzfG/

1 Like

can you share some information about what you did that you think created the issue?

2 Likes

Hi, yes and please don’t ask my why I did this -(!)
I uninstalled Unity desktop then found I only had tty so…
using boot-repair I then ticked the advanced box to write a new mbr.

The installation is stand-alone on a 250 Gb Samsung SSD.
I also forgot to make an image before fiddling.
Thank you.

1 Like

i have a few questions, but i think the most important is whether or not it would be easier to re-install at this point. if you can’t or would prefer not to, i can understand. it just seems like that might get you a clean system.

I agree that a clean re-install would be better. if you have anything on the drive hat you want to keep, a boot or Live CD (I sometimes use UBCD but @Akito recently posted a link to an all-Linux repair disk) can allow you to navigate to /home and copy your files.

1 Like

Thank you, everyone, for your time.
I thought to enquire before a clean reinstall.
I have saved all my documents.
It’s just that I had a nice setup with XP on a virtual disk to run my old scanners and some software from years ago.
I’ll know better before interfering again.

1 Like

Thank you cliffsloane.
I’m going to follow akitos’ link that you provided.
I’m always interested in “tools” etc.

1 Like

it’s been a while since i’ve worked with virtual disks, but my recollection is that they are saved as a file that should be transferable as well.

i meant to add that i’ve used timeshift to get me out of similar situations in the past. in case you didn’t have a backup program that you prefer or just to offer that as an option :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m much obliged for your direction. Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve has a look around but am unable to find @Akitos’ link to this tool. Could you point me in the right direction, please?
Many thanks etc.

I think this is the one.
https://www.caine-live.net/
Well, @Akito?

cliffsloane, Thank you again.

1 Like