Ubuntu 18.04 doesn't send sound to audio output jack anymore (only local speakers are working)

Hi,
Thanks for the documented solutions in “How To Fix No Sound in Ubuntu And Linux Mint”!
However, my problem is still there: sound doesn’t get directed to my laptop’s output jack, when audio cable is inserted.
The sound is still hearing the laptop’s speakers.
This issue was not present and I was able to send the music to a sound system very well until now.
The only changes in my Ubuntu were the updates requested by the OS and accepted by me every time (no selection).
My system (Lenovo Thinkpad E580) details are:

$ inxi -SMA
System: Host: lane-ThinkPad-E580 Kernel: 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Gnome 3.28.4
Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Machine: Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 20KS0065RI v: ThinkPad E580 serial: N/A
Mobo: LENOVO model: 20KS0065RI serial: N/A UEFI: LENOVO v: R0PET63W (1.40 ) date: 01/03/2020
Audio: Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA v: k5.3.0-51-generic

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: CX20753/4 Analog [CX20753/4 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]

I have tried all the solutions provided by you, but the issue is still there: no sound on audio output jack.

I have to mention that I have dual boot (first system installed was Windows 10).
If I am booting on windows I can have the sound directed to audio output when inserting the audio cable, so it’s not a hardware issue.

If you can guide me to solve this, I will appreciate!
Thanks!

Best regards,
Iulian

PulseAudio Volume Control works well https://freedesktop.org/software/pulseaudio/pavucontrol/
You can get the latest version at the url.
You can get the current version via the command line:

sudo apt install pavucontrol

Thanks for the answer!
Unfortunately, I had it installed already and doesn’t help me to get the sound to headset or audio system connected to 3.5 audio jack.
It was working so fine and suddenly stopped sending the sound on the audio output.

Is this where you verified your settings?

Hi kgwoo,

Thanks for the interest!
Yes, this is the place, but no Headphones shown when I’m connecting them.
Only speakers are there.
I have to admit that I wasn’t using this app before, because when I was plugging in the headphones or the audio system, the sound were instantly redirected to the respective devices, without any problem. It wasn’t necessary for me to do any other supplementary action.

BR,
Iulian

second image (new user :wink: )

I even tried to upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 … no positive results.
Still not working.
(images are from Ubuntu 20.04)

Does the redirection work with the same device on another computer?

Hi Akito,

Thanks, but not only when using headset or audio system on another computer it’s working just fine.
Even if I am booting the same laptop in windows 10 (I have dual boot windows/ubuntu), the same devices connected to the audio output jack are working without any problem - so there is no hardware problem with my laptop.
This was true also for Unbuntu, until few weeks ago, when it stopped “feeling” the cable inserted into the jack and then no more sound redirection through it.
So, definitely something happened in Ubuntu and I can get my hands on it …
And I wouldn’t go for an Ubuntu fresh reinstall, since I don’t have so much time to do all the configurations again.
For the moment, I am using a mobile phone as the music source for my audio system, but I really want to understand what to do in order to repair my Ubuntu’s issue.

Thanks!
BR,
Iulian

Iulian, when such a thing happens to me and I can’t repair it, I start up Timeshift and restore a backup from a suitable time period. If that doesn’t do it, I start Grsync and do the same thing. Both of these tools are serious timesavers!

Hi All,

Thanks for you answers!
Even if without any explanation, suddenly the Headphones Port appeared again (only Speakers were present in the ports list).
And when I am plugging in the audio jack (headset or audio cable), the system is automatically switched from Speakers to Headphones.
I am very glad it is solved now, but I am confused because I don’t know what was the issue and how was solved.

Best regards and stay healthy!

1 Like

Just thought I’d zombify this thread with a necropost - I ran into similar sound issues recently…

I’ve now got potentially 4 different “sound output” devices on my system…

1. front or back 3.5 mm audio jack for motherboard sound chipset (Starship / Matisse HD)
  2. Displayport / HDMI out from my NVidia GPU (TU115 High Def. Audio)
  3. Logitech USB “wired” H340 headset
  4. Logitech H600 wireless (with 2.4 Ghz USB dongle)

And I got sick of having to fire up the gnome settings applet everytime I wanted to switch - and was having issues with the “Matisse” chipset on the motherboard (bad stuttering) - and found a gnome extension to let me change the output from the “system tray” (or whatever it’s called in “gnome land”) so I didn’t have to hunt around for it in “Settings” (gnome control center???)…

Anyway - couple days later - I CANNOT get any sound out of either of the logitech headsets… tried 'em on other computers on Ubuntu - all good (same ubuntu version)… One odd thing - e.g. I can select the H340 headset as my default out - but get nothing in the logitech headphones - however - the “test sound” plays in headphones wired to the 3.5 mm front audio jack from my motherboard!

So - I remove that gnome extension… still same symptom… update, upgrade, reboot… still same symptom! Grrr!

Try the same gnome extension (or one very similar - still nada) again… fire up pavucontrol (Pulse Audio Volume Control) - when I hit the volume control sliders for the H340 - I get sound from the H340 headset, but still NOTHING in the gnome settings applet for sound (e.g. test) for the H340.

I hit the last “tab” in pavucontrol “Configuration” - select “Headset 340” - now I can use my headphones - but - what a headf–k! That FIXED IT ALL!

Did the same thing for the wireless H600 headset - all working…

IT WAS THAT LAST TAB IN PAVUCONTROL THAT fixed it…

1 Like