Ubuntu 21.04. How to update Timeshift?

I’ve got Timeshift 20.11.1 installed. The latest version of Timeshift is 21.09.1. How do I update Timeshift to the latest version? Seems my Timeshift is not updated as part of Ubuntu Software Center updates.

I went to the Timeshift github GitHub - teejee2008/timeshift: System restore tool for Linux. Creates filesystem snapshots using rsync+hardlinks, or BTRFS snapshots. Supports scheduled snapshots, multiple backup levels, and exclude filters. Snapshots can be restored while system is running or from Live CD/USB. but don’t see any deb files for 21.09.1; I only see source code files. How to update my Timeshift to 21.09.1? Thanks.

Per the instructions, I posted the template. See below.

## Specifications

<!-- Run the following lines AS THE ROOT USER and post the output into this section: -->
<!-- inxi -Fxmz -->
<!-- dmesg --time-format iso > dmesg_$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S").log -->
<!-- dmesg --time-format iso -l err,crit,alert,emerg > dmesg-err_$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S").log -->

-> Add the output of `inxi -Fxmz` command here!
-> Add the output of `for f in $(find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -name 'dmesg*.log'); do echo "${f}"; printf '%s\n\n' "$(<"${f}")"; done` command here!

<!-- If you experience connection/internet issues, also do the following: -->
First, install dependencies:

-> apt update
-> apt install -y dnsutils traceroute hping3 netcat tcpdump

<!-- If you are experiencing connection issues when connected to a VPN -->
<!-- Execute the following commands -->
<!-- 1. When you are connected to the VPN. -->
<!-- 2. When you are not connected to VPN. -->

-> ip a
-> ip route
-> traceroute 8.8.8.8
-> nslookup example.com

<!-- Post the output here for both iterations, if having problems with a VPN connection. -->

#### Additional Information (if applicable)
- Software title | (E.g. Nextcloud)
- Software version | (E.g. softwarename -V)
- Was the software title installed freshly or updated/migrated?

#### Steps to reproduce
<!-- Explain how to reproduce the issue -->

#### Expected behaviour
<!-- What SHOULD be happening? -->
- 

#### Actual behaviour
<!-- What IS happening? -->
- 
Summary

This text will be hidden

Greetings & thank you for reading the FAQ. :slightly_smiling_face:

Why exactly do you need the newest version? What bug do you want fixed or what new feature do you need to use?

Repositories which are hosting a variety of software packages, will naturally always lag behind the source repositories, in terms of available versions. Even more so with Linux disitrbutions’ repositories. They are structured to be even more stable, tested and compatible, which sometimes means, that you get software versions that are months or even one or two years old. That’s normal.

If you, for whatever reason, need the newest version (usually not recommended), then you can download the package from the software maintainers, if they provide a compatible one for your distribution. If not, you would need to compile it yourself, which often implies a lot of work and research, if you have no or only little experience with that.

2 Likes

On another forum they gave me a link to the Timeshift PPA commands. That worked. I’m now upgraded.

Could you mark this thread as solved? Thx.