Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS - Intel iRISxe Graphics - No HDMI Output

I have installed Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS on my new laptop. Everything works fine, beside of HDMI output. In a BIOS there is HDMI output, but when Ubuntu starts to boot, there is no more HDMI output.

Once I tried Ubuntu 22.10 and there was HDMI output in ‘try phase’. And then I have installed Ubuntu 22.10 there was no more HDMI output. I have Intel iRISxe Graphics.

My laptop has the following. Maybe you’re on a 12th gen or newer Intel?

CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-1165G7 (8) @ 4.700GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX350
GPU: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]

I think the HDMI has worked for me with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS. Pop is running 6.0.12 kernel.

The problem most likely is that your graphics hardware is too new for linux. The firmware to drive it may not be available in Ubuntu yet.
You can do one of 2 things

• wait for Ubuntu to include the required firmware. It may appear in the next release.
  • find another distro that has support for new hardware.
    I had a similar problem recently and I used MX21.2.1"ahs" . The “ahs” stands for advanced hardware support. That MX version may include the firmware you need.
    The other option is to use a rolling release distro like Arch or Void.

Regards
Neville

1 Like

I’ve never had issues with Iris on two Dell laptops, mostly 18 and 20.04 LTS…

Haven’t powered either up for months (years even?) - but - never had ANY dramas like yours. Both of them spent most of their time on Dell docking stations (similar model Dells, identical model docking stations, and Dell branded monitors).

Hmmm… Now I think about it - I hardly ever used the HDMI connectors on them, if ever?

Intel IRIS is as old as the hills… been around at least since circa 2015 - probably older… always worked a treat for me on Linux…

Its a new laptop. Might it not have a new Iris version that needs new firmware?
but
If that is not the problem, it must be a hdmi issue. Is there a displayport video output? Use that instead maybe.
He says the BIOS can drive the hdmi port, but not Ubuntu. That suggests the problem is in Linux

My Laptop is Huawei MateBook D 16 2022 i7 16GB+512GB (RLEF-X)
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-12700H
I bought it in August 2022. First what I have done was installing Ubuntu 22.04

I assume you are using the hdmi output for an external screen?
It is clear that Ubuntu does not drive those hdmi outlets properly.
You have to try another linux.
See my recommendation above.

Interesting thing is that I have tried Ubuntu 22.10. and there I get output on HDMI, but when I installed it, no more HDMI output.
@nevj Thank you for your suggestion, but I’m trying to solve the problem within Ubuntu, because at my job I’m working with Ubuntu. Is there any Debian based Linux that can solve my Problem?

I understand… you have reasons for sticking with Ubuntu
MX is Debian based. That MX21.2.1"ahs" that I suggested MAY solve your problem… but I can not guarentee it.

If you want to try and patch up,Ubuntu to work, you have to find out what firmware drives that hdmi port and then see if you can install a newer version of that firmware, if one exists.
Start by looking at dmesg and lspci and lsmod to try and find if Ubuntu is loading any drivers for that port into into your kernel.

If your Ubuntu live CD works, but not the installed Ubuntu, it means the installer has not loaded all the needed firmware, maybe because it failed to autodetect the hdmi port. Live CD’s tend to have drivers for everything, but installs only load the drivers they detect are needed.
So you could try installing some more firmware packages… you have to guess which … and if you do install extra firmware you will need to add the drivers name to /etc/modules to force the kernel to load it when it boots.

Sorry, that is complicated. Missing drivers is always a complicated issue.

Regards
Neville

Pop!_OS is also Ubuntu based and will have a 6.x kernel version once you are installed and updated to the latest.

1 Like

Yesterday have tried two Linux MX Version.

1. MX-21.3_x64 “ahs” - but I didn’t help. No HDMI Output. I think this Version of MX, has a Kernel Version 6.x.x
  2. MX-21.3_x64 - I had more luck and HDMI output is working. Yeahhhh :wink: But. There is always a but. No Network devices. Now, I can go on Internet. :sweat_smile:

Today I’m going to try Pop!_OS

Did you enable non-free packages ?

I can’t remember that I saw that Option.

It may not have asked during the install.
Check in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
The files debian.list and mx.list should contain the word nonfree

Yesterday I checked all CheckBox and there was one with ‘‘non free’’.
Also I found a list of Installed and non Installed network driver. Something like that I didn’t see in Ubuntu.
But, option ‘‘non free’’ and with that List didn’t help.

What I also saw was Intel AlderLake Connection module (WiFi), or something like that. I thought that Intel AlderLake is only Processor!?

You can get a list of installed driver modules with lsmod.
Their names are sometimes hard to understand

Yesterday have tried two Linux MX Version.

MX-21.3_x64 “ahs” - but I didn’t help. No HDMI Output. I think this Version of MX, has a Kernel Version 6.x.x
    MX-21.3_x64 - I had more luck and HDMI output is working. Yeahhhh :wink: But. There is always a but. No Network devices.

I dont understand that. I cant see how
MX-21.3_x64 “ahs” would be missing something that normal MX would have.
and
I cant see why normal MX would fail to load the network interface drivers.

So we are stuck. Did you try them with an install, or did you just use the live iso file?
Live distros can behave peculiarly sometimes, but usually they are better at finding hardware than actual installs.

MX-21.3_x64 “ahs” - I have only tried, without installing it

MX-21.3_x64 - is installed on my Laptop.

I don’t know why are network devices not installer properly.

@najkarika

Thank you, I understand now.
I assume you want to try and fix the installed MX 21.3, as it works with the hdmi output.
More questions, I am afraid

• when you installed you must have nominated one network interface as the primary network interface. So you must have had internet access while installing or it would not have completed the install. So what interface did you set as the primary network interface?
  • when you rebooted at the end of the install, that primary network interface should still have been connected and functioning. So have you got internet access now?
  • if there are other interfaces, they may need configuring.
    Could you do the following command please. Use a terminal window. You dont need sudo.
    ip addr
    and copy the output to your reply so I can see it.
    That will show all interfaces that MX can see, and whether they are UP or DOWN
    Please tell me if that command shows all the interfaces you expected to be present

Regards
Neville

PS Its a laptop. I dont suppose you turned the wireless switch off by accident?

This is MX-21.3_x64 “ahs” after I installed it.
I have now Internet Connection - WiFI, but No HDMI output.

Blockquote
uname -r
6.0.0-6mx-amd64

Blockquote
lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake Innovation Platform Framework Processor Participant (rev 02)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x4 Controller #0 (rev 02)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor Gaussian & Neural Accelerator (rev 02)
00:0a.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Platform Monitoring Technology (rev 01)
00:0d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 USB Controller (rev 02)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH USB 3.2 xHCI Host Controller (rev 01)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Shared SRAM (rev 01)
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi (rev 01)
00:15.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 01)
00:15.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH HECI Controller (rev 01)
00:19.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 01)
00:19.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1e.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH UART #0 (rev 01)
00:1e.2 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Device 51aa (rev 01)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH eSPI Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P SMBus Host Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH SPI Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Silicon Motion, Inc. Device 1001 (rev 03)

This is This is Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS after I installed it.
I have now Internet Connection - WiFI, but No HDMI output.

Blockquote
uname -r
5.19.0-32-generic

Blockquote
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake Innovation Platform Framework Processor Participant (rev 02)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x4 Controller #0 (rev 02)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor Gaussian & Neural Accelerator (rev 02)
00:0a.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Platform Monitoring Technology (rev 01)
00:0d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 USB Controller (rev 02)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH USB 3.2 xHCI Host Controller (rev 01)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Shared SRAM (rev 01)
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi (rev 01)
00:15.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 01)
00:15.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH HECI Controller (rev 01)
00:19.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 01)
00:19.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1e.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH UART #0 (rev 01)
00:1e.2 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Device 51aa (rev 01)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH eSPI Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P SMBus Host Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH SPI Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Silicon Motion, Inc. Device 1001 (rev 03)