Ubuntu 4 Questions

Now that I have Ubuntu 18.4 dual boot with Windows 10, some questions have come up:

1. When I open Firefox on Ubuntu, I get ads all over. I have an ad blocker on windows, but is there one for Ubuntu?

2. Since adding Ubuntu, the clock is 4 hours ahead. In the setup I set the time to be the New York selection since I’m in Georgia I didn’t see a selection for it. But the time shows in both Ubuntu and in Windows as being 4 hours ahead?

3. I’m planning on downloading several software packages to add into Ubuntu. How do I get them set up so they will appear in the Ubuntu screen and be able to click on them to start them?

4. Now that I have set up Ubuntu and use Firefox in it, when I go back and boot to Windows and want to use Firefox in it, I get a popup windows that says Firefox isn’t my default browser and this has only started since setting up the dual boot of Ubuntu. Can this be fixed? I keep clicking on the box to make Firefox my permanent browser but I keep getting the message everytime I come back to Firefox in Windows 10…

i use ublock origin in combination with duckduckgo privacy essentials and privacy badger so there are lots of choices. when i sign in with my account, they are usually added to firefox. if they are not, i can install them through the firefox add-ons website:

1 Like

On question 1. If you go to Firefox setup. Upper right corner. Select Preferences and then set up Sync (as mention before) Firefox will not only sync your bookmarks, but it will SYNC all the other setting, like blocker.

1 Like

Thanks, I will get it and get rid of those pesky ads.

Pat

Hello,

Ad blockers are a browser specific thing (most of the time). As suggested already, use uBlock add-on in your Firefox browser.

In fact, I’ll advise you to use the Firefox sync option. Basically, Firefox allows you to create an account with them and when you log into it, you can sync your bookmarks, history, saved passwords etc with your Firefox account.

This simplifies using browser between operating systems and devices as you get the same bookmarks and saved things.

You can change timezone in Ubuntu to Georgia easily. You’ll see option to search for cities in the timezone settings.

Do keep in mind that there is a known issue that sets slightly different between Linux and Windows in dual boot. We can fix that later but first let’s set the correct timezone.

Almost all the applications download from the software center, using apt command or deb files will be added in the menu automatically.

This is weird but I don’t think it is related to dual boot. Perhaps Windows is setting Edge as default browser on its own. They shouldn’t be doing that but it’s worth checking.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

On question 3:

• Install the desired software package
  • Click on the small beaver icon in the left hand corner and you’ll get a menu
  • You will find the newly installed package with “All files”
  • Right click on the desired file
  • Click “Add to desktop” and you will see the icon there
    Success!
1 Like

If you really want to surf ad free internet then try the Brave Browser
https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html#linux
If the demise of Firefox gets any worse, we may all be looking for a
new browser.
This is the install instructions for Brave, and I am running this in
Debian 10.
sudo apt install apt-transport-https curl

curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-beta.s3.brave.com/brave-core-nightly.asc | sudo apt-key --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/brave-browser-prerelease.gpg add -

echo “deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-beta.s3.brave.com/ stable main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-beta.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser-beta

This is also for Ubuntu 18.04.
I do also run Firefox but it is only for a second browser and it is
not set as the default.

Using Firefox as the default browser with Ubuntu, does not make it the default W10 browser. Microsoft Edge will always be the default browser with W10, unless the default is changed to IE11 or something else, and the default will sometimes be changed back to Edge, after an update. Welcome to dual boot with Windows.