Ubuntu Alternatives

Hi to all and to you, Abhishek, thantks for your very interesting blog I’ve been reading for many months.
I’ve tried Xubuntu 18.04 but it hasn’t convinced me so much that I’ve preferred Sparky linux (mine installed is based on Debian scratch testing) and, above all Mx linux to Xubuntu. Xubuntu 16.04, IMHO is still much better than 18.04 and 18.04.1. This last of Xubuntu’s versions doesn’t allow me to use and even install some of the programs I used.and furthermore, it seems it doesn’t work well with my wifi dongle (netgear WNA1100, chip Atheros); it has always worked well with Xubuntu’s previous versions. With the last one it works for days then it suddenly doesn’t catch the internet. If in these moments I take the dongle off and then put it on again, everything returns to work well. With Xubuntu 16.04, Sparky and Mx linux such a thing never happened. Above all MX linux in my opinion, could be a real serious adversary of both Ubuntu and even Mint distributions.

Best regards

Stefano

2 Likes

Hi Stefano,

You appeared to answer your own question, having tried and liked SparkyLinix and MX Linux.

There a whole host alternatives, in the region of 200 plus OS’es. The best OS is the one that works for you, doing what you want.

Distrowatch has a list of the top 100 Linux and BSD OS’es.

https://distrowatch.com/

:smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your answer. Yes I knew Distrowatch and sooner or later I will, try releases new to me.
Thanks again

Stefano

I am hearing good words about MX Linux. I feel like I must try it myself.

2 Likes

I’ve it installed on one of my 3 HDs since a lot of months I don’t want to delete it for any reason. It allows to create an iso of the system installed, allows to install monthly community updates without deleting your home. On the contrary, with Ubuntu/Xubuntu 18.04.1 the old and now no longer updated project regard te beutiful Systemback, no longer woeks. while the program to create an ISO of your installed system you can use with the last of Ubuntu releases is Pinguy Builder. Two more pograms malfunctioning with Ubuntu 18.04 and 18.04.1 are Gdebi and Gnome Commander.
GDebi starts, checks the dependancies and just after you’ve clicked INSTALL, it literally disappears from the screen if you install the same package manually i.e. dpkg -i namepackage.deb it install te package normally. With Gnome commanderyou can’t use it with root permission as it asks to install gksu or other similar programs that are no more used nor belonged in Ubuntu 18.04 reopositories.In Ubuntu 18.04 and 18.04.1 you can install multisystem, the useful program to put several bootable ISOs on a single USB key (it is easy to imagine how useful it may be in couple with systemback). Unfortunatly you can’t intall multisystem in MX linux. Some one in MX community has asked to be abl to install it anyway). It’s a pity as MX linux - natively has many features which make it very comfortable for the common desktop user. Like “old” dear Ubuntu/Xubuntu: try and have a look at it.

Best regards

Stefano

Antix is close to MX and a great alternative. One question, are you only interested in Debian? I switched over to Arch via Antergos and find it to be one of the most stable platform. I’m whimping out of Gentoo but I’m heading toward FreeBSD via GhostBSD and TrueOS/Trident.

Check out BSD. The philosophy is slightly different and almost all apps have been ported over.

Good luck!

To me it’s not much different than Mint xfce or Manjaro xfce. All three are nice in my opinion.

GDebi …HOWTO
I too use Xubuntu 1804.1 and I noticed the same gdebi “functionality” as you.
As it’s no longer supported ! ?
This worked for me:
launch it from bash

sudo gdebi namepackage.deb

Why??.. Because “sudo gdebi” forces the dependancy check whereas “sudo dpkg -i” doesn’t.
That’s my understanding and it worked for me awhile back.

Itry yoursuggestion but with Xubuntu 16,04 everything would work well and such a workaround you suggested wasn’t necessary. I think it is a Canonical business to make programs work and not our task to make working what seems no longer work; I am tghe final user after all. And I have preferred to pass to other linux distributions.

Currently road testing MX Linux, lots to like and recommend.

Though it has some anomalies,

Installing throw up issues with their drop down menu, when setting language to English GB, keyboard English GB, time zone to Europe/London. It defaulted to American settings, during install.

So effectively locked out of system, thought the first install was bad, rewrote the iso to USB and tried again. My password was still not accepted. The third install, used a simple 1234 password and realise what was going on.

Work around I set the entire live environment to UK specs and the install worked.

MX have disabled systemd with a shim, (I’ve read some where) and they do not recommend to re-enable it, I miss certain commands that systemd uses and can’t use them in MX. i.e systemd-analyze time.

A bug bear for me, otherwise a great alternative distro, deserving to be rated No 4 in Distrowatch.

1 Like

On the contrary I had no problems when I installed it. Of course I chose Italian language, keyboard and environment. Some problems instead when updating the system with the monthly community distros LEAVING the /home/stefano as it was. My files hadn’t been deleted but something I do not remember now didn’t work well. The principle of avoiding the /home deletion is good but it must perhaps to be perfected.

Devuan is good too. I have it as well as MX 17 and Lmde