Ubuntu getting slow after suspending

I am running ubuntu 22.04 LTS version in vm ware workstation and i usually suspend the machine, but after doing it 2-3 times the system does not work properly. What should be the problem with it?

Welcome @Ankita790 ,
Do you suspend Ubuntu or VMWare?
Regards
Neville

I suspend vm ware, i try suspending ubuntu but not able to gain its state again.

I dont know VMWare, but in most Linuxes there are settings for suspend, accessible via the menus. Try varying the settings

I gather that you are just getting slowness, not failure, when you restore the suspended system. I have no idea what happens when you have a VM client running and you suspend the host? It must be complicated and I would think prone to doing things that may be inefficient.
I dont think you will solve it easily… look for a workaround. Perhaps close the Ubuntu down before you suspend.

Hello and Welcome to here :thinking:

Got some Questions

1_What sort of laptop is this problem on chipset, cores

2_How much ram on the laptop and how much ram went to the VM

3_When running the VM do you have any apps/processes running on Ubuntu the base system

4_What is the cpu useage rated = BTop or HTop

5_Overheating can and will cause throttling of performance

6_Printer hooked up could maybe be an issue disconnect to find out

7_How long since Ubuntu got a reboot

8_How long ago did you reboot the VM

9_Multi-boot perhaps M$ along side

I’m guessing for answers and that won’t help, since there is not much info about these things.
In my personal folder = Computer Info, Tools and Tips that’s all I could find,
I did try VM back awhile did not like it much and yeah if you could look into those few things that may give an idea where we can look next
what to do next,
my guess is either overheating ( how long since gave the laptop a really deep clean including replacing the thermal paste.
or
nup run out of guesses will wait for your answers.

Regards
artytux

1 Like

It sounds strange, but my laptop seem to acting funny coming out of a suspend state for the past few days. I am going to back out the last update to see if that changes anything. Linux Mint 21. Other then performing Linux updates, I have not may any changes to the setting.

System:
Kernel: 5.15.0-53-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.2.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.4.12
tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: Mutter dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21 Vanessa base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20AWS2KD00 v: ThinkPad T440p serial:
Chassis: type: 10 serial:
Mobo: LENOVO model: 20AWS2KD00 v: 0B98401 WIN serial: UEFI: LENOVO
v: GLET82WW (2.36 ) date: 01/19/2016

1 Like

My Laptop seems to be back to normal coming out of suspension after the Timeshift restore.

The systems item restored were flac, openjdk-lts, webkit2gtk, and kernel 5.15.0-53.59.
My guess is the kernel was the problem, but more testing will need to be done.

1 Like

I’m usinng desktop.
Installed RAM Capacity is 8GB and vmware is using 3GB.
Reboot will happen twice in a week.
And yes I keep apps running before suspending vmware.

Hello @Ankita790

Someone at ubuntu would know because it seems a busy question over there,

The ubuntu community would know what the proper settings are this running in VMWare and digging in to resolve this for you very frustrating problem.

Would you put in one more post here a link so we know it’s fixed also what caused this. :exploding_head:

Regards
artytux

1 Like

There isnt much information available regarding these topics, so I’m just speculating for answers, which won’t help.
I could only find it in my personal folder, Computer Info, Tools and Tips. I tried Virtual Machine once but did not enjoy it, so if you could look into those few items, it might help us determine where to look next.

What should I do next? My best estimate is that the laptop is either overheating or that the thermal paste needs to be replaced.

@marcus
If it’s a thing you are able to do yeah give the laptop vents and fans a good clean up
Disconnect etc etc avoid static also
replacing thermal paste is one of the best things to do

Sorry about the late reply I was away

artytux