Ubuntudde error message

I am trying to use Ubuntudde. Every time I boot up the live edition a get an error message, “Problem in kwin_11”. Will someone please explain what this means and how do I resolve it.
Many thanks.

when you say “boot up the live edition” does that mean you are running it from a usb?

1 Like

That is correct. . I get the message when attempting to install from usb. Should I be doing something different?

2 Likes

a quick search for that particular error didn’t yield any results unfortunately. does the error prevent you from moving forward with installation?

1 Like

I too could not find any reference to that message anywhere. I do not like things for which I cannot a reason. Everything has a cause.
I am loath to attempt an installation of anything that does not have a known solution. In short, it makes me uncomfortable continuing with an installation.

i would feel the same.

my next thought was, did you check the md5sum? it looks like the installer comes with an option to “check disk for defects”. that might be worth a try. after that i would try recreating the usb.

1 Like

It looks like I may have a hardware error. Investigating hard drive and RAM for any issues.

2 Likes

hopefully it isn’t anything too serious. good luck.

1 Like

I don’t believe this will help but I found this;

and this (KWin repeatedly crashing) https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=152552

1 Like

well, it was helpful to me :slight_smile: your post reminded me that i had (at least thought i had) seen kwin in relation to kde. that made me wonder if the deepin de was based on kde. according to wikipedia and fossbytes, it is (probably) not. however, the deepin window manager is apparently named dde-kwin and that definitely seems like something which shouldn’t be throwing errors (loud enough that you get a warning especially) before install.

2 Likes

Thanks to all commenting on this issue. It illustrates that the old proverb, ‘a problem shared is a problem halved’, has never been more true. Thank you all for your help.

3 Likes

how did your hardware investigation turn out?

1 Like

No issues found with hardware. It appears to purely a software problem.

3 Likes

if you are interested in trying to find more information about the error, you could check
dmesg | grep -i kwin
to see if there might be more to try a web search on. it seems entirely possible that the live environment just isn’t working well with some piece of your hardware and that could be worked out through the installation, but it would still give me pause as far as trusting the system to be stable overall.

1 Like

I think that there may be a conflict somewhere on my laptop. I have taken the drastic step of reformatting my ssd hard drive, using Knoppix, and am now attempting a clean install. I will post the result.

3 Likes

All ok with my hard drive. The problem still exists when attempting to install ubuntudde. I get a message that the Kwin program Had stopped, and I am unable t go any further. I am concluding that it is definitely a software issue.

2 Likes