Unable to comment on new articles

Hello,
I’m unable to comment on any of the new articles published in the past 6+ months. But I can comment on the older articles.
When I try to type a comment, nothing happens. But this is only with newer articles. I can comment just fine on the old ones.

Is anyone else having this issue. ?

Asim

No, this is strange.

There has no administrative action been taken on your account.

Let me know if the issue persists (also, if it “magically” solves itself).

2 Likes

Hi @Asim_Ali,

And Welcome to “It’s Foss” forum.

This does sound like a very unusual problem. Especially since above your posting it says
“This is the first time Asim Ali has posted”.

I don’t see how that was possible if this is your first posting.

Good luck on your problem.

1 Like

I’ve seen this too. What I sometimes need to do is to type in a text editor or somewhere and then copy the text to the clipboard. Then I can right click in the comment area and paste it in.

When I click in the comment box it just doesn’t seem to hold the focus. I assumed it was caused by a browser addon.

2 Likes

You’re correct. that’s exactly what I ended up doing. I noticed that I was able to insert a smiley face in the comments and doing a CTRL-V paste worked too. I typed a test message and it worked.

Since my post, I’ve done some further testing and it appears to be a Google Chrome issue. I am able to type when I use FireFox but when I use Google Chrome on the same PC, running ZorinOS (Ubuntu), it doesn’t work.

2 Likes

In the light of Asim’s last comment: Which browser did you use?

2 Likes

Hello Asim,

I saw your message in the email as well.

This somehow is persistent with the use of the combination of Cloudflare (on our side) and Chrome browser.

I had approached the developer of the comment service provider and he could not figure out what’s causing this.

The workaround trick is that you click on the comment and start typing without moving away from the box. If you are in the middle of writing comment and you move away, the mouse loses focus. But if you refresh the page and go back to the same comment/reply, your previous text may still be there are you can continue it this time.

I know this is not the ideal solution but please bear with me while I figure out the caching with Cloudflare.

2 Likes

I use MS Edge most often with Firefox as a secondary browser.

Well, Edge is Chrome based, so it is likely to be affected, too.

3 Likes