Unable to install linux mint on lenovo computer

I have a lenovo ideapad s340 laptop computer on my desk, sadly it has windows 11 on it and i want to remove that and install linux mint on instead. Lmde latest version on 64 bit.

Ok put the usb key in with mint on, i know it works as i have used it many times before.

Restart windows with shift key held down and say start from usb. Which it does but when I try installation it does not see the hard disk. Into disks and again unable to see the hard disk in the machine.

Restart again into the bios and disable the secure boot option, f10 save and exit.
Check the settings and secure boot is not set

Start up mint and still no hard disk.

Reinstall windows works fine enabled or disabled secure boot.

No options in bios for changing ufei settings

Just to make it complex except the bios everything is in dutch !
Not an easy language to follow, and in the settings updates and security , things are not in the order microsoft say they should be, alphabetical but using dutch words.

If all else fails it will go out with windows 11 but much prefer to be able to say mint works.

Any suggestions ?

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=361974

Just discovered this on a mint site about changing RST to AHCI but i am out of my depth with this and dont really follow what is suggested.

1 Like

I can’t help with the Dutch.

The RST looks like an Intel RAID system. Maybe if BIOS is currently setup to use RAID, Mint can’t see a disk. If RAID is disabled, maybe it will.

That’s just a guess and might be harder to accomplish in Dutch. Good luck.

3 Likes

The suggestion on this is install older version of linux, then when worming upgrade, longer job than expected.

But think you are on the right .ines with your comments, what i dont want to do is end up with a totally unworking system. It has a ssd inside the box which on older machines i would have simply swapped out the disk but dont nave any ssd in stock a,so the case is modern with no screws so prise open and risk cracking the case.

1 Like

I had a Dell Windows 10 laptop and I tried to do the same thing. Instead of a HDD or an SDD, its primary storage was soldered to the motherboard (MMC?) and was effectively like an SD card or a USB stick that was part of the computer. The install iso was looking for a hard drive and there wasn’t one.

I gave up and handed it to my son for my granddaughters to play kids games on. I’ll look at specs more closely and make sure any machine I buy has an actual drive and not an ‘integrated’ one.

4 Likes

I am at that point of returning to windows sadly, bit worried about changing the ssd config in bios just in case it stops working altogether.

It cant hurt. You can always change it back.

It may be lacking a driver for the disk control card.
Try either a gparted usb drive or a live linux… they may see it
also
I had a problem with a disk not being seen recently in some distros… it turned out
they needed the kernel comnand line parameter intel_iommu=off
Not saying that is your problem, but think about kernel parameters too.

3 Likes

Problem sorted.

Into the bios changed the security
Storage disk information said it was not a suitable raid format disk.
Changed storage control mode from rst to ahci mode
Booted to usb mode
Ran install lmde latest version , never seen the install run as fast !
Must be the ssd improvement

Ran updates, installed vlc, google chromium and chrome runs fine.

Yes its even in dutch !
Although i have no idea on the language the screens are the same so easy to do, only issue is finding the icon in control panel, printers, imprimantes I know but who would think in dutch they would be … printers.

Adding to favourite (favoriet), putting on the desktop (bureaublad) or task bar (taakbalk), gave up customising the control panel menu, way past my knowledge and pay level

4 Likes

Question. Why would a laptop have been set to rst?
I have never heard of a laptop with a raid disk. Someone must have fiddled without knowing what they were doing

AHCI is a software interface to SATA disk controllers. It is being succeeded by NVME.
I am not sure if AHCI works with an NVME disk?
Raid (RST) should theoretically work on a SATA disk. It clearly did not in your case

2 Likes

I have almost the reverse situation on my newest Dell Inspiron 7706 2-in-1. It was delivered with Windows 10. I attempted a dual boot with Ubuntu but couldn’t seem to get it sorted. Ended up trying to reinstall Windows 10 but couldn’t, due to an Intel Optane drive that seems to need a special driver. I ended up installing just Ubuntu and then a year or so later Pop!_OS for several months. Then when 24.04 came out I installed Ubuntu again.

3 Likes

It appears that lenovo did the setting in the bios to prevent changes to the operating system down the line. Not sure how windows 10 the original version shipped with it was upgraded to 11 when i saw it, how did that bypass the rst lock.

Same client has 2 lenovos one i have fixed with lmde. The other is still to do and checked the bios its set the same but a totally diferent model number for the computer.

This new lenovo is slightly old and still on 10, unable to upgrade it tells me, not a problem for lmde, but the screen is faulty, half pink half normal. I know its not a graphhics issue as external screen works fine. Its not a setting as tried lmde same problem.

New screen called for but at 80 euros not sure its worth the investment, her decission. Only used in home at a desk, so my gut feeling is use an external screen. Much cheaper.

3 Likes

Is the screen faulty in Win10.

1 Like

Yes it came in faulty with windows

Did not think virus related but scanned and cleaned anyway

Tried built in software for screen drivers no change

Booted into mint the same, tried changing resolution etc no difference.

Plugged in external screen that was fine so its the laptop screen itself.

2 Likes

I Use AHCI the difference is ssd use serial interface driven by drivers for AHCI where nvme uses PCIe interface. NVMe drivers are faster then AHCI drivers. Nvme uses 64k commands per queue, and AHCI 32.
I have linux installed on a samsung Nvme 960 and my home on a NVMe intel.

Drives:
Local Storage: total: 8.65 TiB used: 3.24 TiB (37.5%)
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 960 EVO 500GB size: 465.76 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s
lanes: 4 serial: temp: 40.9 C
ID-2: /dev/nvme1n1 vendor: Intel model: SSDPEKKW512G8 size: 476.94 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s
lanes: 4 serial: temp: 39.9 C
ID-3: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HDS721010CLA332 size: 931.51 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s
serial:
ID-4: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD5000AAKX-75U6AA0 size: 465.76 GiB
speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial:
ID-5: /dev/sdc vendor: Western Digital model: WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 size: 1.82 TiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s
serial:
ID-6: /dev/sdd vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EVVS-63E1B1 size: 931.51 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s
serial:
ID-7: /dev/sde type: USB vendor: Seagate model: Backup+ Hub BK size: 3.64 TiB serial:
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 228.12 GiB used: 116.1 GiB (50.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
ID-2: /boot/efi size: 523 MiB used: 6.1 MiB (1.2%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
ID-3: /home size: 468.38 GiB used: 364.77 GiB (77.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme1n1p1
ID-4: /var size: 227.71 GiB used: 9.2 GiB (4.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3
Swap:
ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 2 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2 file: /swapfile

1 Like

I have a SATA card that sits in a PCIe slot. It uses AHCI. It is 6Gb/s. I am not sure it can deliver that on all of its sata ports simultaneously. That is the best I can do, my computer is too old to take NVMe drives.

2 Likes