Unable to run Balena Etcher on Ubuntu 22.04

There is no such description. If car mechanic Joe would read something about a device being overwritten, he would perhaps think of a tube cooler being written on with a marker.

It’s not only that, it’s also impossible to serve everyone. With low level tech stuff like overwriting the bits of a storage medium, there is no way of explaining it enough to a non-techy person, because the description would need to be so long, you would need to put it in an eBook and for each tooltip an eBook would need to open for the user to read completely, which is a thing nobody would do, because it’s not only impractical, such a design just does not make any sense.

So, to be able for normal people to live on computer platforms, there always has to be some kind of trust behind all the operations. The normal person has to be able to trust, that the thing that happens next is the right thing, the thing the user wants/needs.

I also see no reason in forcing anyone who is not interested in the topic to know the behind the scenes of such topics. The same way, I am not interested in the way something boring and non-technical is done. I don’t have to know. Someone else already does. And I certainly won’t do it by hand.

If you want to do everything by hand and know everything up to the bare bones of itself, then open a hard disk platter and concentrate sunlight onto specific points on the platter to flip the bits (ones and zeroes), so that you can create a file, by hand. I mean, it will only take you about 1000 years to achieve that correctly. In the process you would throw away more hard drives than ever existed, just to get the right angle right, at the right time & targeted at the correct position.
Still, nothing you can’t do by hand. Right?

Why use a CPU cooler? Just wave your hands against the CPU to make it cooler. It won’t ever generate enough cooling to keep the CPU cool enough to run, but why would you use a $35 device to do it for you without explaining how it works to the very bare bones of it?

Why use Etcher? You can use dd and do it all yourself, error prone and risky. Might fail and many people fail at it.

Why even use dd? Still, way too easy and not enough explanation. Just open the target medium in a raw ByteStream and copy the bits manually to the target destination.

Why even open a ByteStream? Just open a raw undefined device and write the bytes yourself, having to look out for which bytes are for the file system and which ones are for files.

1 Like

Dont confuse depth of explanation with its clarity.
One can work at various levels, and , as you say, there is no limit to how deep a question you can ask.

For gui purposes, they need to fix a fairly high level of understanding, then make sure prompting with popups works well at that level.
You do need prompting. Noone can remember what all the buttons are for.

I use MintStick in all my OSES it too is a deb file and it just works.

In Mint Cinnamon DE Nemo on the drop down menu, there is an option call “Make Bootable USB stick”. Talk about easy.

1 Like

I downloaded the Balena Etcher 64-bit zip file from here. It finally works on my Linux Mint 5.4.0-122-generic 64-bit system.

Hi Otto,
Sounds like you had some difficulties installing Etcher?
Next time let us know. I dont use Etcher but there are lots of people here who do, and they can help.
That is an old version of Mint. You might consider an upgrade to a new version.
Regards
Neville

1 Like

I think I’ve used Balena Etcher in the past… but still prefer to use dd to write an x86 boot image to a thumb drive…

However - having said that, I did recently use, and find VERY useful, the GUI imaging tool from the Pi Foundation, the latest versions of Raspbian have disabled the old “pi” user with “raspberry” as passwd, which can make setting up a headless Pi a bit (understatement) of a PITA.

With the latest version of the Pi Imager on Ubuntu :

1. download my preferred version of Raspbian (half-arsedly rebranded to RaspiOS)
  2. setup a few flags and options (like the default username and password) for the downloaded image
  3. write the image to my output device of choice (usually mmcblk0)

I’m pretty sure you can use it to also write a USB drive with the Pixel desktop for x86, why anyone would choose that is beyond me, because PixelOS is one of the ugliest things I’ve ever seen :smiley:

Dd is too dangerous (too powerful) for a clumsy linux newbie like me. Thanks, anyway.