Unable to upgrade

I get the following error when I check for upgrades:
"Unable to download updates:
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The
repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used.
GPG error: https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable
InRelease: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because
the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A8580BDC82D3DC6C"

BTW- I am connected to the main server for downloads. Plus I have uninstalled the Brave app.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks ahead for any suggestion/solutions.

I found a link that might help. They are having an issue with Chrome, but otherwise the same issue I think. It sounds familiar. Maybe I had the same issue at some point.

Good luck.

2 Likes

This did not help, data is 5 years old, no longer used.

I think I would uninstall brave, then see if the system will do an upgrade.
Do a backup first.

1 Like

You probably need to refresh the keys in your apt database. If you open a terminal and type

sudo apt-key adv --refresh-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com

Followed by

sudo apt-get update

That will hopefully solve the issue (NB, I don’t use Ubuntu, so I haven’t been able to try this out and verify that the keyserver is correct - maybe somebody else can confirm).

Nope, that did not work.
Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).

Is the reply I got.

Thanks anyway for helping.

Did that and it did not help. Same error.

There are a couple of apt commands you can try
apt-get autoclean
apt-get clean
They clean out package files
and
apt-get -f install
apt-get dist-upgrade
run those more than once. Clears dependdncy issues
and
apt-get --fix-missing ......
ignores things that cant be retrieved or are corrupted
and
apt-get check
updates cache and checkes for broken dependencies

If all that fails, I think you need a fresh install
Broken package systems can be unfixable.

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions.
The way I got rid of the “errors” was by removing them from “etc/apt/sources.list.d”.
Everything is running fine again and updates are downloading. :+1:

2 Likes

What exactly did you remove?

These were the “E’s” I just removed and rebooted, every things is fine.
sudo rm -rf brave*.*
sudo rm -rf tsbarnes*.*

So you did not get brave from the official distro repositories?
That explains it.

The ONLY “official” repositories for Brave are Brave themselves! Distro vendors don’t offer it - it’s Chromium based, but does more - it’s my browser of choice, I briefly went back to Google Chrome for 2 weeks about 2 years ago - but COULDN’T stand all the ads I’d forgotten about. So - I use Brave for personal stuff (sync’d across 4 desktops [2 macos 2 linux]) and MS Edge for work stuff (using my work O365 account to sync, also, across 4 desktops).

I like your solution (remove the files from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/) - I often use this method if I come across “dependancy hell” - and I was just about to suggest this but saw you’d already arrived there :smiley:

On Linux Brave is installed from the shell :

sudo apt install curl
sudo curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg
echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main"|sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt install brave-browser

I’d rather they were just like Google Chrome, where you could download a DEB file - but eh, the above works for me… I’ve never run into the OP’s issue with Brave but…

1 Like

Well if it is like that, you should install it outside your package system… ie a hand install in /usr/local.

Thank you for the “shell”, Brave is once again installed and WITH NO ISSUES this time. :+1:

1 Like