Unwanted pop-up push notifications

Ubuntu 22.04.4
Firefox 125.0.2
I am receiving banner push notifications on my laptop from a news company that I look at but do not subscribe to. Somehow I must have clicked the “send me more” button by mistake and now I want to stop these notifications. I do want to receive notifications from others, such as my bank, email and message apps.
How can I stop these pop-ups from just this one company without stopping the notifications that I do want?

Two answers to look at and it could be in either

Click the menu button. and choose Add-ons and themes, look at extensions you have enabled, switch off any you do not recognised or want. Then look to pop up blockers and choose one to prevent messages coming up.

Second option and most likely fix

Again browser menu and select Settings.
Privacy & Security.
Scroll down to the Permissions window, and select Notification.
disable notifications, check Pause notifications until Firefox restarts. Thus, notifications will not appear until you restart Firefox.
configure additional permissions for each site, click Settings.
Next to each site, there is a dropdown menu where you can allow or block push

That should sort it

But restart firefox to check

4 Likes

Wow, thanks. I’m sure the second solution will solve it. I was looking all over ubuntu for those settings, I did not suspect that they were buried in FF.

This is a browser based settings since you allowed the push notification from your browser.

These browser also allow you to visit the settings and see which sites have access to push notification. You can block it again for the sleected sites.

2 Likes

Its the same solution in google chrome almost the same menu structure, safari is a little more complex for mac users but along the same lines

If it works please mark it solved

Thanks