<UPDATE/SOLVED> Acer desktops/laptops

I have an Acer Aspire 5349-2418 laptop… it has an Intel B815 cpu, Intel HD graphics, 4GB DDR3 memory, and a 320GB HDD. I’m currently running Windows 10 on it but would love to run either LinuxMint 19 or Ubuntu 18.10 on it. My question is this… Would I be able to install either of these distro’s on it without any problems?? Reason for asking is that I’ve heard that Acer desktops/laptops has problems when wanting to install Linux on them. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

<As of earlier today, 8 Sept 2018, I have installed and am now, updating this post with, using LinuxMint 19 Tara on said laptop from this post. Thank you all.> :slight_smile:

Done loads of Acer machines with mint and never had a problem
Issues could be the boot stopping from windows uefi and you may have to go into advanced settings to get it to boot onto the installation media
64 bit version gets over this easy
During a short time period the WiFi was a problem but that has now been resolved
Die hard mint fan so prefer that to Ubuntu.

1 Like

One area where problems can occur is with UEFI Secure Boot. There is plenty of information available online about how to disable secure boot, and remove the secure keys (both steps are necessary if you want to install a distro that hasn’t been licensed by Microsoft). The title ‘secure boot’ is somewhat misleading, and your computer won’t be any more vulnerable after disabling it: indeed you’d be making it a lot safer by replacing Windows with Linux.

1 Like

I have an Acer Aspire 7720G and currently have Fedora 28 installed on it. Never have any problems installing Linux on this machine… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have an Acer Aspire E5-774G running Mint 18.3 just fine. I did have to go into the UEFI/BIOS and change the secure boot settings as @Winston mentioned, but after that it boots and works just fine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you can run Windows on your machine, there is no doubt that you can run Linux. The opposite is not always true. Windows is more resources hungry.

1 Like

I have an ‘old’ Acer Aspire 3610 with Xubuntu 18.04 running on it. No problems whatsoever installing it on this machine. Works fine.

1 Like

If you are worried about running Linux on any laptop the following may be of interest help

https://www.linux-laptop.net

There is another site similar to this but cannot remember the name Google search should find it

I have an Acer E1-572P when I was thinking of leaving windows for good, I can’t remember where I saw it, but I remember reading that if it could run windows then it would run Mint and I’ve not had any problems. Remember you can run Mint in Legacy if you need to do so. All you have to do is press F2 to change that, but if it has UEFI then you won’t need to do so.