Upgrade Ubuntu 17.10 -Artful to Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Hello, glad to be here and join the forum.

I’m an Ubuntu ‘convert’ almost an year, and currently using Ubuntu 17.10-Artful. I want to upgrade to 19.04 Disco Dingo. I’m glad that GNOME is back.

Is there a way/tutorial/blog post, on how to upgrade properly? I have backup of my work, bust just in case can the upgrade be done without losing my data? I have a good lap top, not that that means anything, I think…

So any resource, would be great, or some guidelines on the do’s and dont’s. I can continue from there up.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys

1 Like

If you set up a separate partition for Home, you should be able to tell Ubuntu NOT to format that partition there by saving most of your work, but if you installed some extra software, it may not be on the Home directory and after the upgrade, you will have to re-install them.

1 Like

Welcome to our friendly community, hope you enjoy your stay with us here.
If you look on the It’s Foss site I am sure you’ll find the answer there @abhishek, will know where it is - I think I saw something in the news letter about it, but as I use Mint I didn’t take much notice of it . The newsletter and the It’s Foss site are always IMHO the best places to look first.

I could be wrong - but - I think you’ll have to tweak your /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to
old-releases.ubuntu.com (or some location that still has 17.10 updates) - as the Artful Aarvark mirrors will probably have all been taken down…

Hmm - I never tried do-release-upgrade from an already EOL short term support release… But either way - you can no longer even install anything on 17.10, unless you’ve edited your sources.list to point at the old release repository servers.

Something like :
Make a backup :

sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.BKUP-$(date ‘+%Y%d%m’)

Change the repo server in /etc/apt/sources.list, then update :

sudo sed -i 's/au\.archive\.ubuntu\.com/old-releases\.ubuntu\.com/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt update

Note - “au.archive.ubuntu.com” is what my Australian based install uses - your’s will probably be different. Also - I think those “escaped” dots are probably redundant, I think sed is fine these days, but I’m so used to escaping symbols the shell might interpret as something else, I always do it - i.e. the backslash in front of “.archive” in \.archive\.ubuntu\.au

2 Likes

I am not sure such unconventional upgrade could go without issues. It would be prudent to upgrade to an LTS first and then go step by step. I know this sounds very funny, but when I read Ask Ubuntu, a lot of people had issue when they jumped between the versions in a stretch.

Alternately, backup your files, insert 19.04 DVD/USB and do an erase- install. It would be much hassle free.

1 Like

I agree with @meetdilip here

I suggest that you make a copy of your personal data on an external USB and then do a fresh install of Ubuntu 19.04.

In fact, you can even reinstall Ubuntu when you plugin your live USB:

2 Likes