Visual Studio Code vs. VS Codium

I had come across VS Codium before.

I’ve tested VS Codium on a different machine now, to compare it to the Visual Studio Code I am used to.
I’ve quickly received the first important result. I already found the huge catch, which makes Visual Studio Code simpler and more convenient to use.

https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium/blob/master/DOCS.md#how-to-use-the-vs-code-marketplace-

Please, share your experiences, if you have used both and switched from one to the other.

Update #1

As it turns out, you can install Visual Studio Code extensions manually.

Warning: this website is run by Microsoft.

I was able to download the packaged extension from Github.

Then, I installed it manually via CLI.

codium --install-extension ~/Downloads/ballerina.vsix
1 Like

Drop these and use LiteXL it’s OP…

Visual Studio Code is already very light, as it is. If I would want a change, I would like it more featureful and less lightweight. It matters more to have a convenient development environment than to save 100MB RAM, when running your editor or IDE.

Additionally, Visual Studio Code has some IDE functionality, like debugging with breakpoints. Not sure if this “lightweight” solution even is able to offer that, as it only states being a text editor.

Finally, if that editor does not support Visual Studio Code extensions, it is already plain inferior to Visual Studio Code. Creating extensions for Visual Studio Code is reasonable and many companies do it or at least support some. I have never heard of LiteXL before and have never seen anyone write an extension with a language server or even with break point debugging capabilities.

So, how exactly is LiteXL “OP”?

1 Like

It almost has the same features as VS Code or VS Codium.
It is lightweight and doesn’t use a lot of ram.
It works faster than VS Code or VS Codium. [Acc to me]

Did you read the huge paragraph, where I talk about extensions? VS Code without extensions is almost useless. Well, at least if you want to do any real development on it.

No developer cares. We want stuff to work. We don’t care if it’s taking 100MB or 10GB of RAM (literally).

This is also the reason, why JetBrain’s IDEs are so popular. Nobody gives a fuck, if IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate takes up to 10GB RAM or even more. It works well, so we use it. Period.

Sounds like a highly subjective non-argument, not having any general value for describing the software contained in the comparison.

1 Like

Bruh why are you kind of rude???

And in LiteXL we have plugins instead of extensions.

There is also an article about LiteXL on ITS FOSS:

Not rude, abrupt perhaps? Terse? To the point? But I don’t think he’s being rude…

1 Like

Damn!

Someone (a colleague) showed me some stuff he’d setup in VSCode - i.e. SSH connection using keys and stuff…

So I tried setting it up on my MacBook (work one) - to read me $HOME/.ssh/config et cetera…

and - it TRASHED it - I don’t know how or where - but it would no longer (from native ZSH) do keybased auth… So I purged it :

/Applications/Visual Studio Code.app
$HOME/Code
$HOME/vscode

into the trash…

Then copied my $HOME/.ssh/ from my other Mac…

Gonna hunt out a tutorial or something for doing this with VSCode (ssh integration) on MacOS…

Because I may have to try and do the same on Windows…