W11 Running In Virtualbox

I know this is Linux but just had to post this W11 desktop.
W11 Desktop

Did the Win 11 install process on a VM check for system requirements like TPM and which generation of CPU you have?

Our Linux PC has a 4th-generation i5 CPU, but I read somewhere that if you install Win 11 to a VM, it doesn’t check your hardware. Since I plan to install Win 11 to a VM on this PC, I’m curious to know ahead of time whether it will work.

The PC in question is running Linux Mint 20.2. I already have Windows 10 Home running in a VirtualBox VM on it.

1 Like

As far as I know this W11 build had every thing disabled, pretaining to the CPU and TPM. Be aware,
this is a Windows Insider build and who knows what the final W11 build will look like. This is the link
where I downloaded the ISO.

I checked the link in another browser.

1 Like

Thanks. I have no intention of installing it until it’s released to the public. I just wanted to know ahead of time if I was going to run into any problems with a hardware check during installation.

I did read that MS might change the CPU requirement before final release but only down to 7th-generation CPUs.

1 Like
1 Like

I read that on a VM it doesn’t require all the security whistles and bells, as on bare metal.
Have to dig where I got it from…
Oh, yeah:

Chapter 5:
"Windows 11does not apply the hardware-compliance check for virtualized instances either during setup or upgrade. "

@kovacslt
That may be true for a Windows Insider build but the final release may be different. Since one is
installing Windows into a different environment, a compatible product key will have to be used
for activation.

1 Like

Weird isn’t it how many people want to try Windows 11? The only reason why it’s faster is because they have gotten rid of Cortana, if you’re upgrading through their upgrade tool? For years now Windows 10 has been free to download as a ISO and I literally thought that Microsoft were heading to just be streaming Windows to Desktops, Laptops only? Maybe that’ll be something they’ll do, or push for in 2030, five years after support ends for Windows 10? For me I am hoping that Proton Steam in 2030 or earlier will be successful in running every Windows released game, without the need to muck around with code?

1 Like

No, but in my case, more than likely, will be a Windows version my PC’s
will never be able to tun, unless I upgrade my hardware, which for me is
not likely.