What approach do you use to share data in your LAN?

Hello Friends

If you need to share data (.tar.gz) many times throughout the week in your own LAN what approach do you use and why?

  • FTP
  • Samba
  • SSH

If you know other approach pls, let me know

3 Likes

Not my own LAN but I sha4e data using google drive

1 Like

sftp, rsync, and copy/paste folders in Ubuntu’s GUI.

2 Likes

For occasional use … sftp or ftp
If I need cross-machine data often … NFS mounts.
To share between multibooted linuxes in one computer … mount a shared data partition in each linux
To have a VM access host’s data partition … sftp or nfs or sshfs

3 Likes

I use TrueNAS… Dedicated server - low power microserver (HP N40L)… dual core AMD Turion CPU and 16 GB of ECC RAM… ~12 TB of useable space across 4 x 4 TB HDDs… Started off as FreeNAS - upgraded (in place) to TrueNAS 13… Basically the same setup since late 2019 - so coming on for 7 years now (only change since then was replacing 8 GB [2 x 4] DDR3 RAM with 16 GB ECC DDR3 [2x8])

I mostly use NFS - but also have the same data shared as multiple SMB shares (Mac defaults to SMB, so does iPad)…

I also have SMB shares on a Raspberry Pi4 - pretty much just for MacOS TimeMachine backups (it has 2 x 6 TB USB 3 HDDs mounted) - I also backup my server machines (a Pi3, that Pi4 itself, and an x86_64 Debian 13 that streams using JellyFin to either of those 6 TB drives).

All the actual content on the JellyFin server is stored on the TrueNAS system…

I only use FTP (to my TrueNAS) to access scanned documents from my Brother MFC (it saves to an FTP share on TrueNAS) - I used to use Google Chrome to access that scanned document share - but Google disabled FTP client - so I just use my file manager on Ubuntu (Nautilus)…

I also use ResilioSync to sync certain folders between computers (Mac, iPad, Linux, Android, FreeBSD [TrueNAS]) - e.g. on my Ubuntu desktop $HOME/Documents is actually a symlink to $HOME/ResilioSync/bigshit/Documents - same for pictures, same for $HOME/bin … and some of my config files are on there too… e.g. my $HOME/.ssh/config file has an include that points to a file shared across all the other peers on my ResilioSync sync chains…

4 Likes

To be honest I use a terabyte USB drive that I plug into which ever laptop I need the files.

I was happy with Linux Mint but got trapped by the built in share folder rabbit hole. It just doesn’t work. One needs to set up SMB per other methods.

Distro hopped and found KDE akonadi kept seizing the system while it worked on something. Still hopping distros and desktops. Had NTFS for a while. Now I’m too scattered and need to rebuild.

1 Like

Learn to use NFS. It will handle any linux file sharing.
The usb solution for laptops is a reasonable way to do it. NFS is likd that, but instead of moving the usb you export a filesystem over your LAN.

1 Like

Not exactly ā€œtrueā€ - you export a mount point (not a filesystem) over your LAN… The client doesn’t care what the filesystem on the remote server host is… e.g. My Linux machines mount an NFS share from my NAS - it’s ZFS on the NAS - but the client machines don’t care - or know…

One thing I liked about ZFS - is - it natively supports sharing automatically… I’ve done it before on Solaris - shared a zpool over NFS and that’s part of the ZFS config or something… Don’t remember the exact details - it was a few years ago…

However - having said the above - re ZFS natively supports sharing over NFS (I believe it can do SMB as well) - I don’t use that feature on TrueNAS - I let TrueNAS share NFS the traditional way :

 ✘ x@baphomet ī‚° ~ ī‚° uname -a
FreeBSD baphomet.local 12.2-RELEASE-p14 FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p14 325282c09a5(HEAD) TRUENAS  amd64
 x@baphomet ī‚° ~ ī‚° cat /etc/exports
V4: / -sec=sys
/mnt/BARGEARSE -alldirs -network 10.0.0.0/14

Note: that file can be edited by root - but - there’s no point - on bootup TrueNAS will overwrite that file with the db stored config…

2 Likes

True… because NFS has its own filesystem that it presents to the client.
I have used NFS to allow Linux to read a UFS filesystem belonging to BSD.

3 Likes

This is an interesting question.

We (my family and me) use more sharing technics.
Mostly the Seafile approach, just put a file into a shared volume, which is synced across multiple computers - the file just appears (after syncronization) on the other computers as a local file.
Similar thing happens via the webdav extension of Seafile and Foldersync on Android.

For ad-hoc, single file transfers -mainly between a computer and a mobile- Warpinator is great.

Samba is also used, it’s simply practical for sharing common folders between computers on the LAN.

I use sshfs between my home server and the vps, buth that doesn’t really fit into the LAN category now.
MiniDLNA server is running on my home server, it seesm to be the easiest way to provide content for the ā€œsmartā€ TV.

I use NFS exclusively between my home server and the backup server.

3 Likes

I’ve share across multiple architectures - e.g. DG-UX to SCO-UNIX, from IRIX to DG-UX - back and forth - BSD to UNIX systems…

It’s near bulletproof… the awsomest thing about it is the UID and GID…

If you can figure out how to match user ā€œXā€ from a Silicon Graphix IRIX system to the same UID (and GID) on Data General UNIX - you’re laughing… NetApp were amazing at this stuff…

Unfortunately for MacOS they insist on first user having UID 501 - whereas most Linux systems (and TrueNAS) will start mapping users at UID 1000…

I get nearly the same experience with Resilio Sync…

2 Likes

When was DG UNIX? I didn’t think they were still around by the time UNIX was availble.
At my first job, we had a DG minicomputer for a few days until we realized that multitasking wasn’t the same as multiuser and returned it. It was one of those that still had the 16 switches on the panel for entering bootstraps, etc. in binary.

2 Likes

Way before my time… But DG were kinda ā€œbigā€ in UNIX… They worked with Silicon Graphics on NUMA (non uniform memory access) - dunno what SGI did with that (I did work with IRIX) but DG ported it to x86 - so you could have a rack full of DG AViiON x86 computers - accessing the same memory banks in another rack unit… I’ve no idea how that worked - it kinda predated stuff like infiniband and fibre (which was still way too slow for memory access anyway).

But Data General didn’t like the whole ā€œmulti userā€ UNIX philosophy though… How bizarre! UNIX evolved from MULTICS…

I only ever worked on AViiON systems - both Motorola 88010 and x86 (i.e. predating x84_64).

They did some impressive shit…

Shit the book ā€œSoul of a New Machineā€ can be read even if you’re not a tech head or geek - it’s just a damn good read! That books about DG trying to implement a completely new architecture and it’s a great read..

My reference to their ambivalence to ā€œmulti userā€ was when I ported a bunch of apps from a previous ā€œgenā€ DG-UX system (4000x series?) on a previous ā€œgenā€ architecture… Me and the chief tester proved everything worked hunky dory - the binaries, the Progress DB (not "PostGreSQL!) - flawless..

Cutover day? Let user 3 into the system? WTF? This version of DG-UX is locked down to 2 simultaneous users! So much for multi-user! What happened to the MULTICS part of UNIX?

3 hours of phone calls to previous encumbents (Data General were Zero use - they were already in receivership and trying to sell their CLARiiON storage to EMC) - we got the license key and we now had 128 simultaneous user access!

Despite all that - DG-UX was kinda nice… Easier to use than Solaris - but not quite as easy as AIX… In some ways - all of them were easier to use as a sysadm - than Linux (Slackware)…

Tracy Kidder : The Soul of a New Machine :

It’s a damn good read if you’re into non-fiction - and could read by the technically illiterate… I’d compare it to another great non-fiction work about ā€œtechā€: the Scottish mates who did the first Grand Theft Auto game…

You don’t need to be an IT boffin, or a keen gamer - to enjoy either…

3 Likes

I am not an IT person but I really enjoyed this book. I even gave a copy as a present to a friend. Great story, impressive bunch of people doing amazing things in shortest time to get their new computer designed, prototyped, tested, finished and out to customers. Even a bit of mystery when they loose a memory address… must read it again !

2 Likes

Big thanks to all for your replies

I have the time tight … I will read carefully your answers soon as I can

Thanks for your understanding

1 Like