What FOSS alternatives to Postman are there?

Postman is an app for web developers that makes it possible to send API queries to a website to test or automate services. It’s nice because it has import/export in standard formats (such as Swagger and OpenAPI) and lets you save your API schema locally.

In the past few years, however, it’s become clear that Postman is on track for enshittification and I’m looking for FOSS alternatives.

The weird thing in this app category is that there seem to be a LOT of budding apps, but it’s rare to get one that takes it across the finishing line–a polished GUI app like Postman.

Do you know of any robust alternatives? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Duane,
I dont know from experience, but from what I read
you are going to have to accept some compromises.
Regards
Neville

1 Like

:rofl: though quite self-explanatory, I thought you had made this up.

Sheila Flanagan

2 Likes

FWIW the most promising alternatives I’ve found so far are:

• httpie: the CLI appears to be FOSS, but the GUI is not, unfortunately.
  • milkman: This seems to be the real deal. Looking into it now.
1 Like

Love that term - first coined by a favourite writer of mine: Cory Doctorow…

There’s a serious (and legitmate) fear that the new owners of Bandcamp are going to enshittify the platform - it’s vital for emerging artists - and my favourite source of music (they offer lossless format on everything!) - but some pretty big name artists and labels, use it for music distribution, digital download, CD and vinyl, and merch (stickers and apparel etc)…

3 Likes

Update March 2024:

• bruno: this looks fantastic, including support for a git-stored API file format, and is MIT licensed
1 Like