What is llvmpipe? Is there a fix?

On my now broken upgraded Ubuntu, the hardware info reads this for graphics:
llvmpipe (LLVM 13.0.1, 256 bits)
instead of anything about my Nvidia graphics card.
Is this fixable?

I have an Nvidia card in my desktop box and it upgraded to 22.04.1 with no problems so I can’t say I know exactly what went wrong. Here’s a guess: during the upgrade process non-Ubuntu software repositories get disabled. See if re-enabling them fixes the issue.

Don
1 Like

Thats a good guess. That certainly happens.
I lost some scanner drivers during a Debian upgrade. Not a big problem, you just reinstall them.

So @cliffsloane … have a look at what nvidia drivers are present.
You may need to reinstall them.
It would help if you knew what drivers you were using before the disasterous upgrade

Neville -

Regarding your lost scanner drivers: I have had a really good experience with VueScan, been using it for years now. It handles pretty much every scanner and contains all the drivers needed. I’ve never run into dependency issues with it.

Don

Gentlemen, you are both tinkering at the margins.
The problem, as mentioned in the subject, is that Ubuntu will not find a most obvious piece of hardware. Hardware recognition is the same problem that kept Linux a specialty hobby for decades, and the problem that kept me from enbracing it until Ubuntu 18. Instead of finding and applying the GPU, Ubuntu uses llvm for ultra-simple graphics.

The only fix is to force Ubuntu to find the card and associate it with the drivers that are ALREADY installed (xserver-xorg-nouveau and nvidia-340).

Nvidia might not be the best, but it is not like those no-brand Chinese products you can buy in Bangkok. When I was shopping for the new card, there were about 8 to 10 more Nvidia offerings (given my specs) for all others.

I’ll ask it again. Is there a fix to make Ubuntu use the GPU instead of llvm?

2 Likes

Cliff, I dont understand the question.
You have Ubuntu 22, and it runs in recovery mode., but the video fails in multiuser mode.
So if that was me in Debian (I dont have Ubuntu), I would look to see what video drivers were present.
To do that I would look at dmesg to see what was detected during boot
and I would use dpkg to see what drivers were installed
Then I would look at /etc/apt/sources.list to make sure non-free repository was enabled
Then I would look at packages with apt-cache search to find what video drivers were listed
Then if I found any extra drivers I would install the relevant packages
Then reboot

Now, have you done that? And do you still get that llvmpipe message?

I dont know what happens if one installs more than one set of drivers. Never done it. I guess it chooses one default. If you wanted to force it to use a particular driver, you may have to purge all the others.

There is also the business of which driver module the kernel loads. I cant remember details of that, but see modprobe and lsmod, if you want to look into what the kernel is using. The kernel has some modules loaded by default, and there are others added under control of files in /etc. I cant remember their names but probably something like /etc/modules.d

Thats about all I know. I have never had trouble with my nvidia card.

Regards
Neville

Thanks Don,
I want to look at that. The drivers for my Brother scanner are .deb files.
That is OK in Debian, but they are a pain to put into something like Void, which does not use .deb files.
Regards
Neville

deb https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu/ppa jammy main
But nothing comes up in the “Additional Drivers” tab.
I also ran the following:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

When you do dpkg -l what drivers do you see?

and could you do lsmod
so I can see what drivers are actually in the kernel as modules

What I am on about is this… During install, when the install software probes and finds a video card, it installs the necessary drivers, if it can identify them AND it forces them to be attached to the kernel, as kernel modules.
BUT
if you manually install drivers as a package, later on after install is done, it does not automatically add the module to the kernel, you have to do it manually.
I am not sure what happens during an upgrade, especially if you change the video card then upgrade.

So , I am trying to determine

• do you have all the drivers as packages
  • which one (if any) is loaded into the kernel as a module

So thats why I need to see dpkg and lsmod

Regards
Neville

Neville, your request is considerably more burdensome than you realize. It takes 15 minutes to open that Ubuntu in Gnome desktop running llvm memory at 256 MB and shut down to reboot into Mint. That means i can only respond either on my phone or after rebooting into Mint. It also means i cannot copy the output, and have to retype. How many lines will that be?
You are kinda indicating that a “solution” is to recompile the kernel. Long before then, i would format the drive and never touch Linux again. All your answers have only reinforced my seething resentment of an impossibly fragile os.

1 Like

@cliffsloane
I think I would already have reformatted and reinstalled Ubuntu, or something. I always keep
Windows installed, just in case Linux breaks!!!

I have done that WAY too often for a system that is supposed to work. This case is the last straw. I give up. “Seething resentment” is the phrase that comes to mind. How much of my precious time is spent investigating why normal procedures resulted in broken systems requiring hours of “try this” and “try that”?
If one’s leisure time is spent pleasurably tinkering, such as trying out distros, that’s one thing. You’re already tinkering. But just this week, a super-minor thing in Mint, took up a couple of hours when I needed to rush the job. The super-minor thing? I had to reinstall hplip because Mint’s printer tool could not send the job to the USB-connected printer. I had to boot into Windows to do this incredibly minor thing, and install hplip after I mailed the package.
Seething resentment.

1 Like

You perfectly depicted how I got to using Windows, mainly.
I use Windows for personal end-user stuff and GUI-less Linux for my servers and professional stuff.

I will try getting into Linux GUI again, just to see how things improved over the years, though I am very skeptical due to my experiences, which closely resemble what you are experiencing. Except, for me all these realisations came much quicker, because I had much more trouble in a much shorter time with my advanced demands, which are no problem at all, on Windows.

For example, my multi-monitor setup works perfectly fine on Windows.

On Linux, I could not use all monitors, because Linux did not let me use the iGPU and dedicated GPU at the same time. Additionally, I had to re-order Windows after every reboot. Then, there were resolution issues, between monitors, when moving windows around, etc… It was a never-ending story. And this is just one topic of many in the story of how my Linux GUI experience resulted in total failures.

Neville, you asked for it. Check the private messages; the system won’t let me upload text or zip.

For trouble-shooting by collecting logs and messages from a variety of commands, I would recommend writing a script with all commands, collecting the results in files, etc. Then, all the trouble-shooting can be done with only a single script.

No you dont need to recompile kernel.
You can dynamically add modules to the linux kernrl while it is running

I dont need the whole output, … just need to know which drivers are present, and which are lozded as modules

I dont understand llvm. What is it and why is it part of the problem.

Neville

I think, providing a script would still be much easier and more informative.

Easier than recompiling the kernel, but still not easy, in general.

It is EXACTLY the problem. As far as i can figure, it is a software emulation if there is no separate gpu module or card. Ubuntu is using it because Ubuntu cannot find the hardware. Without addressing llvm, no solution is possible. I got that, as a non-tech, with basic googling. That explains the original post.

OK, but we have now determined that it is using it because the nvidia drivers module is not loaded, even though the drivers are present as an installed package.
I think Ububtu is seeing the card OK. … it will probe and find the hardware. I just does not know what to do with it because the nvidia drivers module is not in the kernel

As ro why the nvidia modules did not load… I have no idea… Were they there before you upgraded? We dont know. Cant go back.

I still dont like it.
I think what @4dandl4 says… a new fresh install, would be preferable to trying to load the nvidia modules because that upgrade may have other problems not seen yet.