What is your favorite backup / sync app for the cloud?

Why on earth do you want old emails in pdf? I’m really lost on this.
Just delete unwanted old mail. Archive in a local folder, if it’s precious.
Doing so it will be easy to look it up, search for something in the message body, search for messages from a specific sender, search upon various criteria, which is impossible (or very hard) having thos mails in pdf…
So why?
I’m really wondering why?

I understand this totally. That’s why IMAP was invented, and it’s supported by all email cilents I know :wink:
I myself use Evolution on 2 computers, and k9 mail on my Android phone.

Some people like me are suspicious of mailers not providing continued support long term, so we tend to want archived mail in some standard format rather thsn in the mailers special format. Pdf is probably not the best choice., but at least it will always be able to be read.

1 Like

OK my way is this and later this is why . .

I keep the old Emails in MY personal files and folders (Inc Backups)
I don’t trust anything or anyone else with my important Docs
Be it on cloud or any other thing
I look after my belongings !
The PDF’s are saved like this
Date (optional only for date specific Emails
Subject or topic
No problem finding anything > Real Estate Rental crap ,/, Banking , etc all have their own folders.

1 Like

Good point - I loathe PDF format… But I like the comfort of knowing I have old emails to dig up…
But - I have Eudora archives of my mailboxes (I can’t remember what file format that was) circa 1995/6, and 1997, and PST files after 1997…
Up till my ISP (iiNet) completely FUCKED me over and deleted my mailbox …
Never trusted ISPs since… hence why I used my Google Mail…
one GMail account from 2003… my main one from 2012…
I’m just loathe to delete correspondence… period…

BTW - Gates’ mob up in Redmond do email some vast order of magnitude better than “Don’t Be Evil” google corporation…
Using the web client in Gmail ?

where are the rules?
where are the folders? (oh we all them “labels”)

LABELS? That system is an ABOMINATION!

1 Like

I don’t think Thunderbird is going to be vanished any time soon…
Evolution (which I currently like much better than Thunderbird) is another question.
But whenever an email client dies, there will be another, with possibility to import data from other clients, as it is today.

Google will likely not loose your data.

1 Like

As wonderful as it all is the longevity of anything online be it cloud Email clients support is up for anything goes Inc cyber-attacks and all the saved Email you HAD are now gone or worst still encrypted by some bogus boffhead in some regime suppressed country.

Storing important data be it emails on your own personal hardware with a backup system in place will negate any web breakdown or intrusion,

Just ask Optus about cyberattacks Hmm .

Just my one cent of Honest Opinion

How could YOU not love The PDF format, and it is editable.

No They are toooo busy reading the Emails

:+1:
Could not agree more on this.
I don’t trust anything but my self-hosted stuff. Any cloud-provider (free at the moment), can become a paid service, and if they already have your data, you’ll have to pay to get YOUR data back. No, thanks.

2 Likes

Well, sometimes. Sometimes it’s a mess if I try to open it in LO Draw, or Inkscape.

Have you tried Okular (PDF Arranger No No ) the many versions of inline and pop up notes in store make it reasonable if and when LO D , Ooh have you tried LO Writer instead of LO Draw.

PDF Arranger don’t know how that got in the conversation stupid StUpId.

I agree. The gmail interface sucks and I never use it.

Writer does not open pdf. Instead, it launches Draw, and opens the pdf there.
Okular: No, did not try it yet.

I’ve found insync with pcloud (2tb lifetime) and google cloud to be very reliable.
2TB storage has worked for some time even with all my family photos and movies.

2 Likes

Strange that launches LDraw would that have anything Todo with the right mouse click then properties > File type options settings : nah that couldn’t be that.
anyhow
Opened a pdf with right mouse selected LOW (Libre Office Writer)
I did use LOW but only a few times trying to do things to PDFs the GUI annoys the tolerance out of me, for just plain documents it’s good.
In Okular I drop in popup notes into the PDF ( and save changes) trying out the diifferent types of notes and colours, It’ll do.
it’s just notes for me from saved webpages.

“Dropbox is reliable and have used it for years now.
Just looking for a second, alternative “system” as backup.”

Me too. It seems logical to have to pay to use resources: there’s no such thing as a free lunch.
HiDrive (Ionos) is a cheaper and more scaleable alternative. I have an account for the specific purpose of sharing data with a micro-enterprise I work with.

Hey @daniel.m.tripp , have you seen this Advance Search feature in GMAIL

Messages larger than a certain size in bytes size:
Example: size:1000000

Perhaps this may help find “Large” emails for delete and free up your mailbox.

Cheers mate - I already did that…

What I’d REALLY RATHER do - rather than delete the whole email - is just delete the attachments - sounds easy, trivial even, but Google don’t have that feature - for obvious reasons, so they can sucker fools like me into paying them $2.50 AUD a month!

A year later and they say March 31st is World Backup Day.

5 Likes

honestly … rsync LOL

5 Likes