What Is Your favorite Open Source App?

Inkscape and GIMP. I have no idea what I would have done without those.

4 Likes

He Man, looks down this pic, but skelletic is enjoying it :skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

Currently with Windows 10 ( 2017 ) is pretty nice; but love Linux too.
Vlc media player is favorite for both. :penguin:

1 Like

Live OS Tails 4.2.2 :1st_place_medal: on a USB stick packing Tor Browser; :trophy: not only best for security and being able to see more than dougal US Inc allow but so fast and silent that I keep forgetting that I am only in RAM. You also get to travel around our planet for free! Tails has received the Mozilla Open Source Support Award (2019 and 2016), the Access Innovation Prize (2014), the APC FLOSS prize (2014) and the OpenITP award (2013).

1 Like

For me it is definitely Gramps. Gramps is a family tree programm. It has an easy learning curve but but at the same time offers a very complex and well organised data interface. It runs on Linux ( I use it on Ubuntu), Windows and Max OS X. It can import and export using the GEDCOM interface. It has several possibilities of displaying the data on the screen and can generate data sheets from each entered person also containing the pics that have been added. I think itā€™s the best genealogy program around.
Regards from Germany!

5 Likes

i love vim, tmux, mpd, ncmpcpp, weechat. i use them all day every day.

1 Like

My favorite depends on task but I like Audacity, Gimp 2, OpenShot, Libreoffice and testdisk.

3 Likes

Aqualung, the lightweight gapless music player, which, after it disappeared from the Debian repos, and therefore the Ubuntu repos, I had to compile it myself. I got tired of it, and moved to Manjaro, which compiled Aqualung from the AUR in about 5 minutes, instead of dependency hell with Ubuntu.

Iā€™m sticking with Manjaro.

4 Likes

I really like FreeFileSync. It sync files w/o me having to learn / memorize the options on rysnc command. It of course does a simulation run for your review.

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: ZorinOS Paid Support FAIL

Love the name of that product/program ā€œaqualungā€, first time I heard about itā€¦ tried it (build) on Ubuntu (19.10) - yup - dependancy hell! Drat! Double-doh! Gave upā€¦

Shame really, great name, great song by Jethro Tull too (and covered brilliantly by NOLA sludge metaller Kirk Windstein of Crowbar, on his recent [January 2020] solo album ā€œDream In Motionā€) - but also, uncannily enough, the name of a chapter of a book I bought recently about Adolf Hitler up till the 1923 Munich Beer Hall Putsch - which taught me thereā€™s another context for the term, i.e. not just Jacques Cousteau ā€œusageā€, but ā€œaqualungā€ can mean the ā€œevery manā€ or ā€œlower middle classes et ceteraā€ā€¦

Not prepared however, to drop Ubuntu and go arch or manjaro for a single applicationā€¦ half tempted to try it on out Debian (i.e. raspbian on an RPi4), but probably run into the same issue.

2 Likes

Brackets is wonderful, but I wish it didnā€™t use Chrome by default.

I have Chrome and Firefox installed, but I managed to let it default to Firefox. I just donā€™t remember, how.

1 Like

I had it using FF on lubuntu and I always had to hit the reload button ā€“ but it did work that way.

I canā€™t remember how I re-set mine either but it was pretty simple to get Firefox instead of Chrome. On my Kindle and the new phone my wife made me have, I use DuckDuckGo browser, way less restrictive than anything Google lets you have and actually gives results for searches instead of re-directing to a Google approved site

Thanks all ā€“ Iā€™m using the reload button too and decided I can live with it!! But I think I found a way ā€“ if on the main file menu at the bottrom you click experimental live preview ā€“ it will use firefox.

I have just discoveredf pyCharm ā€“ for a python ide that is amazing. As well are running stuff with results going to the console, it saves an ENORMOUS amount of typing. The interconnectedness within pyCharm is quite something.

Hey @1crazypj Peter you may wish to take a look at:

https://whaleslide.com/

Add FREE might be a bonus over Quack :slightly_smiling_face:

You may have to check if your browser is supported

OT alert, it wandered 50 yards that way------>

Oh Iā€™m a H.U.G.E metal fanā€¦have been since late 80ā€™s. But you can trace back ā€œblack metalā€ to just yet another wikipedia invented term, and itā€™s tendency to allow circular definitions. ā€œThrash Metalā€ covers all of that.

Where stuff gets really interesting to me (and perhaps to you) isnā€™t in categories, itā€™s in vocal techniques. Properly trained metal artists will sing the growl vocals slightly above the vocal folds (vocal cords). David Draiman is a perfect example. They had a thrash/industrial metal beginning, but he can scream for 2 hours straight with the harshest guttural and pull off perfect smooth tones for Sound of Silence and an interview immediately afterward. Contrast that to listening to Brian Johnson (AC/DC) whose voice is so destroyed that surgery is likely needed.

Listen to a lot of the properly trained guys closely, itā€™s fascinating. Some vocal coaches know the technique, others donā€™t. The one I spoke to could hear both Draimanā€™s growl and his fold resonance together and he had no clue how he did it. Others know and teach the technique specifically.

2 Likes

I agreeā€¦ I reckon thereā€™s more ā€œvirtuosoā€ in much of metal in vocals, guitar work and drummingā€¦ sklllwise, I think itā€™s the closest rock and roll gets to classical musicā€¦ four of my favourite drummers are John Bonham, Bill Ward, Danny Carey (Tool) and Brian Downey (Thin Lizzy).

Take two of my favourite vocalists both ā€œmetalā€, Rob Halford, who can go from growl to soprano in the same song, and Mike Patton of too many bands to list (but I shall try, Mr Bungle, Faith No More, Tomahawk, Fantomas - and there are more!) - heck Patton even does crooning in Italian! Even did Zombie voices on the FPS game ā€œLeft 4 Deadā€ (and L4D2 was the first game I bought when Steam came to LINUX! Thatā€™s what made me switch completely, no more dual boot!).

On Watain - I actually know a few of the guys in the band, and through them met some members of Behemoth (and Bolzer from Switzerland)- all great guys! Thereā€™s an interesting anecdote there I shall savour for laterā€¦

Thanks for the ā€œOTā€ tangent :smiley: good workā€¦

And Iā€™ve been into hard rock / metal since the mid 70ā€™s when I first heard The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardustā€¦ (I reckon itā€™s proto-metal)ā€¦ then caught AC/DC with Bon Scott live when I was 14 in 1976 (and being a huge Bon fan and an Aussie, never ever made the switcheroo to post Bon AC/DC)ā€¦ then a mate used to play Sabbath Bloody Sabbath at school in 1978 - AND I WAS HOOKED! I probably play more Sabbath than any other band from that eraā€¦ still play a bit of Judas Priest, but I get into new Stoner Metal bands every weekā€¦ watched a great youtube documentary about the Stoner / Doom metal scene in Shefflied UK recentlyā€¦

And right now? Iā€™m listening to some Chopin ā€œnocturnesā€ with Francois Chaplin tickling the ivories (I really do hope theyā€™re not actually from dead elephants) - just for some variety :smiley:

1 Like