What Text Editor Do You Guys Use?

Every distro has something special. I’d install one distro, explore it, and learn something new or know what’s special in it. It’s more like experimenting with distros.

I understand that, but what do you work on ?
Or what is the distro you use to connect to itsfoss for instance ?

The distro which I’ve installed.

I’m still a student. I don’t work. And that’s the reason why I have lot of time to try lot of distros.

In terminal, I use vi. But, I am NOT proficient at vi, so I fall back to the GUI KATE for text replacement, cut and paste, etc.

Leafpad. Seems lighter. I don’t do coding. Use it for general purpose editing and commands tweaking.

In the good old days, I used Emacs but for the last 15 years or so, I have been using kate for all purposes, same as @TrekJunky . It’s very mature, has excellent syntax highlighting, and, as common with KDE-apps, lots of options for customizing.

However, for C++, I recently started to use VS Code but I consider it to be more an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) than a mere editor.

In terminal, I never really got familiar with vi, so I mostly used joe (Joe’s Own Editor - with WordStar inspired commands) when in need. Nowadays, I take nano which is almost identical and comes preinstalled almost anywhere.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Windows WordPad Open Source Alternatives for RTF Files

According to alternativeto.net libreoffice is the best but i would not reccomend it its a whole office suite and to heavy but also according to that same page abiword is good and the comments are mostly positives so try abiword if you dont like it try some from this page although some of them are office suites
https://alternativeto.net/software/wordpad/?platform=linux

Using Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0, I tried them all. Each has features the other doesn’t have, or it’s implemented in very strange ways. gEdit, xed are very much alike. Then, used Kate and Notepadqq. But nothing could replace Windows Textpad. So, I ended up using Textpad in Wine and gEdit.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Windows TextPad vs Open Source Alternatives

3 posts were split to a new topic: Programming Language Education

Just GEdit :sweat_smile:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Text Editor with simple Image embedding support

@KITT
I use all kinds of editors
VS Code
Normal Editor (Ubuntu)
Vim
Jetbrains Editor

I use free and open source editor - Doom Emacs

It is a good idea to learn one simple editor that is present in single user mode.
That is usually vi or nano
Neville

I discovered much to my chagrin, and huge displeasure, that Debian (and thus Ubuntu) “single” user mode, or rescue mode, “busybox” (it’s not the full blown suite of UNIX / GNU utilities) does NOT have vi/vim, and you have to use nano (and I detest nano).

Thankfully, usually where I am doing a rescue in “single user mode” its an RPM based distro, and I have “vi” so I can do shit like on an REL4 box last week (physical server) comment out a bunch of LUN mount arguments in /etc/fstab that was stopping it from booting.

I use Ubuntu as my daily driver desktop, but I hardly ever have to “rescue” (like never) - usually if I’m that desperate, I’ll just wipe it and re-install then re-sync to my cloud hosted data…

1 Like

Yes I agree nano is a poor substitute for vi.
In the old days with BSD Unix, the only editor available in single user mode was the ‘ed’ line editor…
How many of todays users could cope with ed?
Neville

For editing plain text or code, I use Sublime for GUI, VIM in the console. Occasionally nano for something different. I use Standard notes for saved plain text/markdown. Evernote for formatted text/attachments.

I used Geany when some code for a numerically-controlled machine needed executing, and found my way round with little difficulty.

However, I don’t need a text editor every day, it took me a long time to get my head round Notepad++ on Windows, and I’m reaching an age where I’d rather not have to learn a new one.

More generally, we find - or rather found, thanks to corona - in our walk-in help and repair shop that frequent changes in software and user interfaces are a major obstacle for many older people, and for quite a few young ones.

1 Like