What to make of Brave and its IPFS?

Wish there were IPFS (and Cryptocurrency) books for dummies!

Even if Brave promotes IPFS, they state that your I.P. address can still be found.
So, why bother?
If Brave promotes it, it must be a secure thing, since that is their specialty.
But still…

If you are talking about this IPFS, then the point is not privacy, but absolute resilience in the form of censorship proofness. It has little to nothing to do with privacy.

If I say, that’s not true, it can’t be true, since it’s my specialty to tell the truth. :wink:

It is very secure. Especially keeping your files secure is very easy. It’s just not extremely private.

Any pure, addition-/extension-less P2P connection is far away from being private. Adding encryption and other hiding mechanisms on top of a P2P connection may make it more private.

There are tons of books about the topic “Blockchain”, because this buzzword just keeps getting bigger. You can swim in the amount of books promoting this buzzword.

If you want to know more about the priniciples of services like IPFS, i.e. P2P based service, then you only need to look up how Peer 2 Peer connections work. Torrent is probably the most famous example for how P2P connections work. However, it is by far not the only example. There are tons of other apps using that technology.

Thanks!
At least now i know now that it’s only another form of P2P.
But, seeing that Brave does not have a VPN service incorporated like Opera, would this latter be the better option? Especially now that it natively supports IFPS like Brave does?

The integration thing is just some convenience thing, as you can read here:

Brave Integrates IPFS to Enable Users to Seamlessly Browse The Decentralized Web

You can browse Altnets since decades with any browser. It’s just not as convenient as using your plain old normal browser, as if it were the same as the Clearnet.

https://zeronet.io/

ZeroNet is a nice Altnet I use since its inception.

It is recommended to run it in a specifically configured Tor browser. However, you may run it in any browser you like. The same goes for other P2P Atlnets. It’s just not as convenient, because you have to start the service and visit the correct URLs, etc. However, all else should be the same, except I’m missing something about the IPFS thing in Brave.

Necroposting? I dunno… I prefer to re-use old topics, than start new ones…

I barely understand anything much about crypto currency - the astounding amount of power it uses for transactions is a big turn off for me…

But - I’ve been using Brave for months now… Several times I tried switching back to Chrome or Chromium, but ended up back with Brave… I think I’ll stick with Brave from now on… Interesting Bryan Lunduke interview with Brave’s CEO Brendan Eich :

Love this :

I don’t use ANY of the IPFS stuff or crypto… I just use the browser, because it does a decent job of sync’ing across platforms, and block ads, and even fools some websites that check if you’re blocking ads, that you’re not ad-blocking (e.g. SBS On Demand knows when I’m using Pi-Hole, but not when I’m using Brave, and, Brave BLOCKS SBS On Demand ads on streams)…

1 Like

I still use Firefox, though lately been thinking about Librewolf and Waterfox. To stop ADS I use AD blocker Ultimate add on and UBlock Origin. Channel 4 (My4), ITV Hub, Channel 5 (My5) with these blockers on, don’t get any adverts at all in Firefox. Plus they do a good job of blocking annoying every minute or so ADS on YouTube. I know Firefox made some bad decisions over the years, partnering up with Google etc, but they had to pay their staff somehow? Even FOSS has to make ends meet somewhere, yes it’s free, but giving up normal work to try to make money out of Free Open Source Software, must be the hardest decision ever to do? Either through Donations, Sponsors, Merchandise about the Software T-Shirts, Jumpers etc. Having the money to make such stuff and the backing in the first place, must also be hard to get too? Never really looked into how FOSS stuff is paid for, until seeing the road Firefox went down. Firefox for some is like Marmite You either like it or you hate it?? I love Firefox, as I can switch off all telemetry from Google, Cookies can be switched off, customize it to my heart’s content. Add loads of different search engines, though I use Duck Duck Go. Wish they’d get their browser that they are meant to be making, over to Linux?

While Mozilla’s CEO makes tons and they lay off hundreds… where’s the really going to?

And DDG with its ties to Bing?

Kind of like Brave search, Searx and Presearch as better privacy alternatives.

Will try AD Blocker Ultimate combo with uBlock Origin on Firefox tho.

Awakening this thread instead of starting a new one (sheeze discourse can be a PITA sometimes - if I’d started a new thread it would have asked me “this is similar to… blah blah” - so I try to recycle an old one and it asks me “are you sure you want reopen…?”)…

Small things amuse small minds? I dunno - it might seem like a small change - but it’s HUGE for me - I always had trouble picking out which tab was the current one in Chrome based browsers - now it’s obvious in the latest Brave :

I don’t think I could EVER go back to Chromium, Google Chrome or any of the others now…

This is Chrome with dark mode on Pop!_OS :

I can barely discern which tab is the current one (I have low vision and I’m red-green colourblind)… Jeepers - even MS Edge is better than Google Chrome (at visibilty of active tab)…

1 Like

I highly suggest you give Vivaldi a try, its Tab Stacking feature is something really handy for multiple tabs. I know it is Chromium-based, but you can give it a try, and decide whether to keep it or not.

1 Like