When to update the Kernel and to which version? (Manjaro/Arch)

Previously, when I used to run Ubuntu, then Mint, when a Kernel update come through system updates, it was clear it was [fairly] safe to update the Kernel at that time.

Now I’m running Manjaro, which has a nice feature showing the latest Kernels and allows you to upgrade or fall back to the Kernel of your choosing.

So, my question is; does Manjaro prompt the update of the Kernel when they recommend it, or is it up to the end user to choose when to update manually?

Currently running 4.19, but I see there is 4.20 and the latest; 5.0 now available. After reading through some of the changelogs in the newer versions, I don’t see much benefit for my machine which is running hardware that’s a few years old. Or would there be any other reason I’m not seeing/considering to update to a newer version?

1 Like

Generally, software that is so heavily maintained over many years or even decades doesn’t require you to use the latest version. You could probably use Linux from 6 years ago without noticable difference. All the work that is being done now on the kernel is bug fixes, adding edge case coverage and enabling new features that come with new hardware. In terms of usability there probably won’t be any noticable improvement. If talking about such crucial things as the heart of any Linux OS, you probably shouldn’t fix it if it ain’t broke, except you want to experiment on purpose.

2 Likes

Manjaro is rolling release based on Arch but unlike Arch, everything is not immediately available to you without testing.

This is why Manjaro is more stable than other Arch variants and one of the main reasons why it has become so popular.

3 Likes

I upgraded the kernel once on Manjaro xfce and then my WiFi kept failing every 30 seconds. Thought about what had changed and switched back to the old kernel and problem solved. After that I felt if it isn’t broke don’t try to fix the kernel. :joy:

4 Likes

Probably you don’t needs of newest Linux kernel.
This majority of news kernels are bug fixes for motherboards
and chipsets, applicable for 2019 hardwares.You can stay
happy with your currently kernel 4.19 x64. :blush:

4 Likes

Regret posting at this old thread. Have somewhat tangential question.

This article helps with the offline install (can I call it that?) using kernel files for Ubuntu. Is there a way something similar can be done with Manjaro?

Like…you download the kernel files, put it in your system and run some commands and it is done. Asking cos the required machine doesn’t have internet access. Internet says that .deb files shouldn’t be used for Manjaro (or else for sure you’ll break something up).

Not a programmer/coder, so request to keep it simple please.

Hi Rohit.
I dont think I would trust a third party software like Ukuu to upgrade my kernel. These third party things tend to get out of sync with Ubuntu and so are prone to errors. I know you wanted a non-internet solution. So basically you want to download the latest Ubuntu full distro , burn it to a usb drive, and install the kernel from that ( and probably all the rest of Ubuntu too… you might as well do a full upgrade while you are at it)

If one really wants the latest kernel, one should consider using a rolling release distro and doing regular updates. That way you get the most recent kernel that can be trusted. Anything more recent than that would be a gamble. Requires internet of course.

Regards
Neville

Umm…err…Neville, did you miss something in my post? I am asking about kernel update for Manjaro (and not Ubuntu! read my post again). Or, are you suggesting that ubuntu live usb can help me update the kernel in Manjaro distro? :thinking: :grimacing:

As an aside, I did update ubuntu kernel using the .deb files and it worked easily. But current issue is with Manjaro.

If it is of any help, my hardware (specifically wifi) works only with 5.16 and above (and no ethernet port), thus no internet. And precisely to get that up and running, I’ve to manually apply a higher kernel (now don’t say, “hey man get mx linux ahs or this or that distro…!”).

1 Like

Sorry Rohit, I missed that…

OK, Manjaro is already rolling release, but you cant use the rolling release updates because there is no internet.

So you are stuck with what I said. Download the latest Manjaro , burn it to DVD or USB drive, and do a full new install.

I understand that you cant get internet with Wifi because the Wifi will not work until you get the new kernel.
You can get a USB-ethernet dongle. Never used one but that might solve the problem.

Apologies for the misunderstanding
Regards
Neville

1 Like

No worries my friend.

Hmm. Let me try. AFAIK, there isn’t a Manjaro version with the >= 5.16 kernel.

Thanks again for prompt help.

Best,
Rohit

1 Like

Hi Rohit,
There ought to be, it is rolling release. I think Void is up to 5.19
If not , you have a nice catch22 situation
Regards
Neville

PS
I hope you have read this

1 Like

Yes Neville. This is perfect Catch-22. Thx for the suggestions though.

PS: Take care and stay safe (wherever you are). Something really BIG happened in the last 24 hrs around Europe. The world has moved into uncharted territory. I’ll be brief and stop here.

Best,
Rohit

1 Like

Are you referring to the nuclear threat, or the gas pipeline leak, or the business of being forced to vote at gunpoint and then being annexed.
They are all of concern of course.
The suggestion here is that the gas pipeline leak was sabotage, but who and why?
Or did I not understand you?

Today in Aust is a public holiday for QEII. It is also the feast of the Archangels. There are still good things in the world.
Cheers
Neville

2 Likes

for what its worth, a screenshot of kernel options, running manjaro. I keep a LTS option there, and avoid the experimental version

1 Like

But you need to be connected to the internet for that.

Yes, the pipeline gas leak (/sabotage?). This is a major event, a kind of turning point which not many seem to be appreciating. I hope better sense prevails on all sides. Peace.

True.

Best,
Rohit

1 Like

If you really cant get any internet you may have to buy a DVD with the image on it , and install from that. Or go to a friends house and download it.
If you have no internet, you could try to set up tethering on an android phone.
You say that your hardware has no internet port, as its kernel 5.16 or above, and no wifi?
I would get a dvd with the new image on it, and see how far you get.

ps, if you have any thing on that machine that is important, then back it up to an external store first
hope something helps

1 Like

Sighhh…I don’t mean to be rude but…I wish people would read before typing/suggesting.

Best,
Rohit

If you asked clearly, without me having to guess, there would be less chance of errors

Rohit,
The answer is yes but you need a lot of knowledge
There is more to changing a kernel than the vmlinuz and initrd files.
You need all the matching linux headers, kernel modules, and a number of other things.
Unless you have all this knowledge for Manjaro, you need a package or script , specifically to change a manjaro kernel.
Does anyone know if such a script exists?

1 Like