Which email client is better than Thunderbird?

Hi,
I’ve been using Thunderbird for several years, but I’d like to try another email client that might be better than Thunderbird.
Do you know of a better email client than Thunderbird?

I’ve already seen this link from It’s FOSS, but do you know of any better ones that aren’t on this list?

Thank you

Jorge

2 Likes

The only email client I’ve used recently, for my gmail mailbox, was “geany” - worked well - but - I mostly can’t be arsed with mail clients - I ONLY use GMail through the web client - does everything I need (even if it is clunky, and a bit funky, compared to Outlook [I kinda hate Microsoft, or Windows more specifically] but MS Outlook runs rings around Google’s offering)…

I’ve got PST files and Eudora inbox archives stored on my NAS dating back 25+ years - but I never need them…

I kinda hate how the main distros I use, or tried recently (Ubuntu, Pop!_OS, Mint), insist on giving me Thunderbird - I ain’t got no use for it and first thing I do is remove it from my dock/panel.

1 Like

Hi Jorge, :wave:

I don´t know about “better”, but I´ll tell you what I use on a daily basis: It´s sylpheed.

Formerly , when running Lubuntu as my daily driver, I had thunderbird running during the entirety of any session.
As I´m on Linux Lite 6.2 now, which seems to be a tad more demanding on resources, at least as far as RAM is concerned, I switched over to sylpheed.

For archiving purposes I still have thunderbird, but I start it on dedicated occasions only.

For the sake of comparison I just had both of them running simultaneously.
Here are the values:

• top -p (pgrep thunderbird):
   PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND  
  15463 rosika    20   0 3324392 456416 210448 S   0,0  11,6   0:30.62 thunder+
  • top -p (pgrep sylpheed):
    PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND  
   4590 rosika    20   0  568548  50608  35992 S   0,0   1,3   0:06.95 sylpheed

Both idle at the time, but the main difference is in RAM consumption, of course.

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Any of the FOSS-suggested email clients will work well for you, unless, like Rosika, your system is squeaking by with very little ram. Mine has 8G of ram, so any of these work fine. I settled on Thunderbird, so I can export my calendar and contacts to external storage and reload them should I want to try a different distro.

Some time back, Evolution had a habit of crashing, but that seems to be better.

Tuta.com and Protonmail.com offer secure email servers and their web interfaces work beautifully, even on my Android phone. I use Proton for all of my “important” stuff and Thunderbird for social media and other trivial stuff.

4 Likes

Same here. I uninstall it.

Around everything.

I used Gmail for about 10 seconds and have never looked at it again. Yuck.

2 Likes

I remember kinda hating it when I first used it against an Exchange server install. Previously I’d used Lotus CC-Mail (not internet), and Microsoft Mail and Schedule+ - then Eudora…

I’m wondering why Gmail can’t use “folders”, instead of “labels” - labels is so clunky - it’s horrible. Did Microsoft patent email folders? Surely not… That’s so generic it would be impossible to patent surely?

And rules? I’ve never even tried to figure out how to do that in gmail. Only one area Gmail seems better than Outlook, identifying spam and phishing…

2 Likes

I’ve installed and supported Exchange in the past. The only thing I ever did with Lotus CC-Mail was replace it. That was not fun either.

1 Like

I use Gmail for more than ten years, and I’m happy with it.

2 Likes

HI,
Thank you all.
I’m going to try the programs you recommended and see if I adapt to any of them. Although I really like Thunderbird, the dark theme color doesn’t let me read some of my emails.

Jorge

1 Like

The first thing I do is get rid of all the dark/light theme stuff in any distribution. Eventually, even Thunderbird gets converted to black on a white background.

1 Like

Hi Bill,
Thunderbird only behaves strangely with some emails, for example from It’s FOSS Community:

As it doesn’t have this behavior with all emails, I don’t remember if it started like this when I updated to Linux Mint 21.2 or if it was when I updated Thunderbird to version 115

Jorge

1 Like

Using Mint 21.2, Cinnamon, theme Mint-X-Teal, and Thunderbird is completely black on white. Other distros/desktops will be different. It’s not an insoluble problem.

1 Like

HI Bill,
Yes, it is in black and white but certain emails change the color of the background, foreground and text, making them eligible.

Jorge

Sorry. That would be outside my range of experience. Good luck!

This seems to be what you need

I have not tested it.

3 Likes

I´ve installed the add-on “Dark Reader” on TB, and actually on firefox as well.
I like it a lot and it´s really good for my ageing eyes. :wink:

see: https://darkreader.org/

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

About sylpheed (that I used for years), an alternative is claws (a fork of sylpheed), that I use now for all my IMAP mails (including my gmail accounts).

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks again to everyone

Hi Dan,
is the program you’re talking about Geany or Geary?
I can only find the text editor in Geary. EDIT: Geany
Thank you

Hi Rosika,
I installed Sylpheed, but when I ran it, it froze in the main window and I couldn’t access the program. I closed the program and ran it again and it did the same thing.
I’ll test it again, because it seems like a good solution for PCs with little memory.
I don’t have access to Thunderbird at the moment, but I’m testing Dark Reader in Firefox and it works very well.
I’ll test it in Thunderbird when I get home.
Thank you

Hi Bill,
I have a Protonmail.com account, but I’m curious to try out
Tuta.com, which I’m going to do.
Thank you

Hi Neville,
Thanks for the info.
I had already tried to find a solution with developer tools and
I was never able to find the corresponding CSS for the emails that don’t look right.
I’ve been trying to change it via UserContent.css, but so far without success. However, I think the solution must be to change the CSS.
Thank you

Hi bodiccea,
Thanks for the info.
As I said before, I had problems with Sylpheed when I didn’t try it. I’ll try Claws too.
Thank you

I’ll give you feedback as soon as I’ve done all the tests.

Jorge

2 Likes

That´s weird. I never had any problems running/configurating sylpheed. :thinking:

Perhaps there are any log entries relating to that.
I guess we need a bit more information about what´s amiss.

So sorry it didn´t work out for you, Jorge.

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It depends on the definition of “better”. I tried almost everything I could find, but always came back to Thunderbird. But finally, it’s a matter of personal taste.

2 Likes