Which top 3 linux distro is best for programmers?

1. Arch Linux
This is one of the best distro of Linux for programmers and coders.

2. Ubuntu
Most beginners prefer Ubuntu. It is easy to use and has many features for programmers.
Its community is very huge.

3.Parrot Os
An amazing Linux distro which is mostly used by hackers and programmers. There are
many features which can be used by hackers for penetration testing.

Been using Linux since 1995 (Slackware 3) - I’m not a programmer, but I spend 90% of my time in a shell (usually bash or zsh - but sometimes “sh” or ksh) and do a LOT of shell scripting development, and just lately Ansible playbooks - and - Ubuntu is usually my “go to”, but also Pop!_OS, and not only, but also MacOS.

Nearly every distro will get you a half decent terminal text editor, vi, and access to a compiler, and these days nearly the first pre-requisite, git… So the question is kinda “moot” - nearly all of them are great! e.g. even Gentoo or Slackware (if you’ve managed to get either of these running well - your job is 90% done - you just need apps like : text editor, e.g. Nano, vi/vim, or VS Code, or VS Codium, and git - never mind a compiler).

4 Likes

Agree.
Dare I say that BSD is at least equal to Linux in this respect.
As @daniel.m.tripp says, all that is really needed is a text editor, a compiler, and some build tools like make. If you get complicated you need version control (git) and maybe a development environment .

3 Likes

This is true. Just because it is beginner friendly doesn’t mean it isn’t also a serious distro. Programmers need to be productive, not worry about issues with the distro being finicky. Ubuntu also has good support, both commercial and community.

3 Likes

.Plenty of time to p,ay with finicky distros when you retire.
The workplace needs stability like Ubuntu or Debian or OpenSUSE.

There are issues with particular languages. For example, I use R. Some distros install R with OpenBLAS libraries, some do not. R has a rapid turnover of releases, some distros keep R up to date (eg Void), while others freeze it an an older release (eg Debian)
You will get to know these quirks for your particular language.
That might be what ultimately determines your choice.

3 Likes

That sounds reasonable. I know Python has some of those issues.

2 Likes

I have found rolling release distros are better for R
Can you say what distros are good for Python?
i think for C, any distro would be OK

I don’t think I could give a very authoritative answer, but from my experience, Red Hat or Cent OS seemed to be a bit slower moving. I’ve ended up with an older version of Python than I really wanted. Ubuntu and derivatives might be a bit more recent.

Lately I’ve been trying to get the most recent by using AppImages. For the DevOps use case that seems to work for me. From a data science perspective, it may not work as well. Although for a data science user they are probably using Conda anyway and not the Python from their distro’s repo.

1 Like

NOT SOLARIS :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Recently ran into issues using Ansible to automate stuff in Slowlardarse (sic) - fuggeddabouddit!

So - in that environment, about 90% of the Linux servers can be managed to some extent by Ansible, but 0 % of the Slowlardarse, and ONLY 'cause of f–king Python!

You’d a thunk Solaris 11.4 with patches and shit applied from Oracle would work - but nada!

I think Puppet’s probably a tad better at Solaris than Ansible, and doesn’t need Python…

3 Likes