Why ubuntu is used as based

I use linux mint and prefer the mate version, been a regular user for over 10 years without problems.

I try like many to keep up to date on linux, versions and technology.

Reciently i have been playing with lmde as i wanted a 32 bit version of linux for an older computer no problems or issues with that, installed up and working fine although i am not a fan of cinnamon prefer mate, but thats due to years of mate so do without thinking.

During my research period and trying different flavours one thing that has become apparent is how many flavours use ubutu as the base (mint included)

So my question is why ubuntu and not debian directly which is what ubuntu is based, appears to be a chain of things and wonder if its really needed.

I could do similar lines with puppy linux and all the versions based on that but dam small linux and puppy are in my tool kits as emergency quick fix when all else fails but would never install or use on daily basis

Looking forward to some interesting replys

It’s so easy to change.

sudo su
apt install task-mate-desktop
apt purge cinnamon*

Probably some bells and whistles are still left to be installed, but basically that’s it.

Ubuntu LTS is somewhat ahead of Debian stable, as it is based on Debian testing.
Debian and Ubuntu share a common root, but they are not completely identical.
Things intended to run on Ubuntu may work on Debian, and vice versa, but this is not always guaranteed.
Ubuntu is maintained by Canonical, I guess they put some effort in hardware support too, Ubuntu is well known, so it’s kind of a brand, despite I don’t realIy like the recent versions (after 18.04 I highly dislike it) I could say it’s very popular among the distros- so Linux Mint picking Ubuntu as a base is not that bad idea.

As the note tells: LMDE is there just to be an “escape root”, if something really bad happens to Ubuntu.

Its goal is to ensure Linux Mint can continue to deliver the same user experience if Ubuntu was ever to disappear.

Are you aware it just resurrected recently?
https://www.damnsmalllinux.org/?ref=upstract.com

3 Likes

I think it is because Ubuntu is a slightly easier starting point than Debian. Ubuntu is more uptodate than Debian, they
usually have new drivers sooner. Ubuntu also adds things to Debian (like snaps ), so to some people it is more attractive.

I think you have a point. If I were starting a derivative distro, I think I would want it based on something basic and simple like Debian.

3 Likes