WiFi + Bluetooth 5.0 PCIe card - success

I had a hunt-n-peck search in the forum - but nearly every post / thread revolves around Realtek and USB WiFi adaptors…

After issues with my Targus BT4 USB dongle - I decided to shell out and buy a PCIe card with WiFi and BT for my main desktop - which doesn’t have WiFi (I still prefer Gigabit ethernet) - I shelled out ~$60 (AUD + postage) for an Asus “PCIe-AX3000” card - checked the Asus website (before I bought it!) and it claims Linux support - and has a driver download page (note - this seems to be an OEM device - i.e. no vendor packaging, manual or driver CD) - and I downloaded the Linux driver (it’s a blob or something - i.e. no DEB or RPM)… Note : Asus says the Linux driver is for 5.1x and later kernels only : I’m running 5.4…

Installed the hardware - hooked up the USB connector to a spare USB header on the motherboard, attached the antennas, booted up - and - I’ve got WiFi and bluetooth - and no manual driver install - Ubuntu just recognises the devices! Out of the box plug and play.**

And it’s BT 5, and it seems way more reliable than BT 4 via USB dongle…

** the online PDF manual I grabbed from Asus mentions downloading the Windows driver and installing it - so one can only assume - yet again - in Windows world - there’s no OS vendor built in driver - we are REALLY spoiled in Linux land - nearly everything is just plug and play… Even when you do all those compulsory involuntary “Windows Update” (Updating your computer, don’t do any work while you do it, just watch endless reboots [and likely BSOD’s] and spinning activity doohickeys).

Been a while since I installed Windows on hardware - it’s a HIDEOUS experience - Windows 10 even on a 5 yo PC, with a dedcated GPU and WiFi is a 4-8 hour oddyssey-cum-travesty of timewasting and trial and error of getting the right drivers for all your hardware, and then after all this, when you run MS’s “Device Manager” (AKA “device mangler”) - you’ve still got half a dozen unrecognized devices listed and you don’t know what they are - and everything seems to work - but you can never be sure

3 Likes

I remember trying to find dedicated 3g Dongle drivers years ago for Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin. I was using Mint Maya at the time. Hunted for weeks then on Linux Mint’s Website someone had written a Driver script to add to the Kernel, giving step by step instructions, that even a baby could understand. These days like you say a lot of hardware is plug n play. I have a WI-FI antenna I got off of Amazon, which the seller included instructions for drivers with it, they worked tremendously my WI-FI is not powerful enough, still rather be plugged into the router, than mucking around with the packed out airwaves.