Wifi Connection Problem

Is this the one I download?
focal (20.04LTS) (kernel): firmware installer for the b43 driver [ multiverse ]

i extracted those descriptions from your photo. i wanted to post them here so i could access them more easily when trying to help :slight_smile:

where are you seeing references to AMD and what do they say exactly?

the modem should be a separate piece of hardware from your computer. the broadcom and realtek adapters are internal components of your computer that provide wifi and ethernet.

yes, that is the package suggested by the article that should work with mint 20 :+1:

1 Like

The little square at bottom right says I have to fix something. When I click on it a pop-up appears that says, “Install hardware drivers”.
Hardware drivers are available for the following devices:
NVIDIA Corporation GK208M [GeForce GT 740M]
there is a button highlighted which says ‘Launch the Driver Manager’, under that is another button - greyed - which says ‘Ignore this report’.
When I select the Launch the Driver Manager button this is what pops up and this is where AMD64 is referred to.
Failed to download repository information.
Check your internet connection.
Under that a details window expands and it says:
E: The repository ‘cdrom://Linux Mint 20_Ulyana_-Release AMD64 20200624 focal Release’ does not have a Release file.
Sorry I forget how to post a pic. The typing is accurate though.
I really appreciate your patience. Thanks

1 Like

You need to download the driver from your other computer, then transfer it to this computer. You cannot download it on this computer, since you cannot even connect over Ethernet to the Internet.

Yes, I understand that Akito. Thanks.

in these instances AMD64 refers to the fact that your processor is 64-bit capable. it doesn’t have anything to do with the manufacturer.

I found this but what do I do to get the B43 file?
https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/all/firmware-b43-installer/download
Do I select one of the mirrors listed? Can I copy the file to a USB drive. How do I get the other PC to install it? This procedure is totally new to me.

Yes.

1. Transfer a copy to a USB drive.
  2. Transfer this copy from the USB drive onto your PC.
  3. Install the package.
1 Like

So the MINT 20 ISO I originally downloaded will install on ANY 64-bit PC regardless of manufacturer?

Yes, GNU Linux distributions generally try to be as agnostic as possible. They only have technical limitations, like e.g. the CPU architecture.

1 Like

i would qualify that by saying it may be possible. as you are finding, some components have more trouble with drivers than others.

1 Like

OK, got the file. Double clicked to install and this popped up:
“Same version is available in a software channel”
“You are recommended to install the software from the channel instead”
What does that mean?

that it would be preferable to install from a network connection if you could.

Ok, so I closed that suggestion and clicked install. This popped up in a window titled “gdebi-gtk”
Additional software has to be installed

Please take a look at the list of changes below.
25.1KB will be downloaded in total.
128.0KB more disk space will be used.
Then highlighted is"b43-fwcutter=1:019-4 CANCEL or CONTINUE.
What next please. Off to bed now as my head is totally scrambled. Be back tomorrow. Thanks for all you help.

i was unsure if you were posting a status update or asking for further instructions until you edited the post :slight_smile:

it was fortuitous that you paused. it gave me some time to look at what gdebi (the installer program) was trying to download. it looks like b43-fwcutter is required to install firmware-b43-installer.

you can download b43-fwcutter here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/amd64/b43-fwcutter/download

all of the other required packages should already be present on your system after that. once you download b43-fwcutter, please install that first. then you should be able to go ahead and install firmware-b43-installer.

to clarify:

1. download b43-fwcutter
  2. transfer it to the correct computer
  3. install b43-fwcutter
  4. install firmware-b43-installer

Excellent. Many thanks. Report back tomorrow.
Cheers

Fixed. Re-installed Ubuntu 20LTS.
Thanks for all your help.

1 Like