Windows WordPad Open Source Alternatives for RTF Files

Is there a lightweight, uncomplicated text editor for Linux that works like Wordpad (.rtf) with formatting and ablility to paste rectangular clipped picture into it, from the clipboard?

That’s a Microsoft only format, their own and no way would they give it over to Linux. We are still lucky enough to be able to convert RTF into whatever. command line - Editing RTF files in text mode - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange
LaTeX can make it look better by converting it to a PDF, which to my mind is what RTF is anyway.

This is not entirely true. Whilst RTF is a Microsoft proprietary format, its specifications are disclosed and entirely documented. E.g. LibreOffice and Abiword support it fully. However, the format is nowadays less and less used as it has been replaced by other open formats which offer far more features and are equally available on all platforms.

1 Like

I don’t want “more features” than WordPad has (except maybe “format painter”), I want something very fast and LIGHT and uncomplicated (especially when it comes to pasting pictures and the way they behave in the document after pasting) just like WordPad. I use it for many purposes, all day, every day.

On this subject, why does linux make me choose between cutting/copying a clip to the clipboard OR cutting/copying to a .png file? Why couldn’t a clip to a .png file ALSO put that clip in the clipboard? And, apparently only a COPY puts a pic into the clipboard - I keep losing things I CUT, thinking they go into the clipboard, but apparently they do not, they just “delete” instead. Why bother with “cut” at all, if it is just a “delete.”

Because cut thinks you will paste that particular thing somewhere else immediately. Cut is used mainly in document writing, like in a book for instance or even here on this forum you can cut and paste words or paragraphs, to fit in with what you are writing about before or after the thing you’re writing about. It saves time retyping everything out. That’s the beauty about it, but laziness too. Though gets the job done quicker. You can move files the same way to other folders or external devices.

There is also move to which is like cut, but move to needs a destination, as cut can go anywhere within an allotted time, before you either cut or copy something else, before pasting the last thing you had cut.

1 Like

Extending on @clatterfordslim’s remark:

You usually use the Windows shortcuts Ctrl+C for copy, Ctrl+X for cut and Ctrl+V for paste - context menus are just so much slower. These shortcuts have been adopted by most Linux applications, except really old-school ones, like vi or emacs.

In Linux, you also have by default the incredibly handy feature that marking text with the mouse copies and middle-button pastes.