Workspaces - how prevalent is it's use

Thanks for the comments Ernie.

Let me ask a followup question. Do you use shortcuts such as “ctrl+tab” to move between open browser tabs or “alt+tab” to move between open apps?
-Ed

I work similarly to Ernie it seems. I might have a few apps open or a few tabs open. If I want to switch between apps I use alt-tab or minimize my current app to maximize the one I need right now.

For me, and I think for everyone, there is a limit to the number of things you can reasonably and effectively attempt to multi-task between. Regardless of the methods you use to switch between tasks your head will eventually get in the way and cause overhead. You lose time switching to the new task and then switching back to the old task.

Workspaces is fine, but if you’re just a hotkey away from switching to the application, who cares if it’s in another workspace or just minimized?

Like Chuck Berry said in My Ding-A-Ling, “live like you wanna live”.

2 Likes

No, I usually just click with my mouse - muscle memory :slight_smile:

Ernie

2 Likes

I do that focus thing too, when programming. Usually just one terminal window.

Fiddling with the system seems to be different… I need to look up heaps of secondary things. So that is where workspaces help me…

Remember alphanumeric console screens. Only one workspace, only one window, and most of them would not even scroll back. We all thought they were great, compared to teletypes. And CRT screens… the eye strain was crippling.

5 Likes

For me the result was usually much more desk checking using fan fold paper.

2 Likes