Your Favorite Feed Reader (RSS) app?

I have been using NewsFlash for a while, I appreciate its UI (considering I prefer a modern approach to the UX), but it’s been constantly crashing on Linux Mint and the sync freezes for some reason.

I’m aware of quite a few options, but in case I’m missing something good, let me ask about your favorite options as a feed reader app on desktop?

Looking forward to the insights! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Ankush_Das ,
I will have to admit to showing my age, but the last time I read News it was from Usenet, and I used to setup the mailer to view it.
Can you explain to us out of touch oldies, what information does a modern RSS provide, and is there info there that might be of interest to the average Linux user.
Regards
Neville

1 Like

I’d like to use an RSS reader as a front end to reading the news I normally read anyway. It would be less effort and less cruft to sort through.

I was hoping I could just use RSS feeds from the sources I already read from the web, but could filter it somewhat. Like any story that has “Apple” or “Musk” in the title will not be included. No offense to Apple fans, I’m just not interested. We all have our brand loyalties.

2 Likes

I haven’t used any dedicated RSS readers here. I get podcasts using their RSS feed addresses in VLC media player. I have to manually set them up with the URL for the feed and there are a few that are not compatible with what VLC expects, but it works well for me in most cases. I can choose what I want to see/hear and when. VLC supports both audio and video podcasts (the formats I prefer). I don’t know if VLC will meet your needs, but it may be worth checking out. I chose it because it’s one less app I have to keep installed on my computer.

Ernie

2 Likes

With so much information online, it is easy to miss out or get overwhelmed. Hence, I always prefer using an RSS reader to categorize and organize the sources of information. I can stay up-to-date without endlessly searching for information on the entire web.

There’s nothing extraordinary a modern RSS reader provides compared to the traditional ones. But, it does come with a better/cleaner/clearer UI, integrations with services like Feedly and Inoreader.

Having said that, web-based feed readers give convenience, but may cost you if you need numerous sources + extra features.

1 Like

Indeed, RSS reader reduces the effort to explore the web once you have everything organized.

I’d suggest you the web-based feed readers that provide an easy way to filter things based on author/keyword etc… :smiley:

1 Like

Interesting. While I was aware that VLC is versatile, I never used it for podcasts, that should be useful for some users for sure. Thanks!

Thank you! It has been my experience (in both GNU/Linux and Windows) that my system remains more stable when I install only those apps I need/want/use. After installing an OS and getting it up to date, my next step is to remove any app I don’t want/use (if possible - some apps in Windows cannot be removed, I have encountered no such issues in GNU/Linux). Finally, I fine-tune the system’s configuration/appearance to suit my preferences.

By using the VLC media player, I can view video and audio content, be it a podcast, a downloaded media file from the Internet, or one that is stored on my computer. The single caveat to downloading media files from the Internet is to only get them from trusted sources to avoid malware.

These are my thoughts/reasoning for using VLC,

Ernie

2 Likes

Feedbro (Chrome extension) Easy to navigate & read plus lots of configuration options. Uning on Linux Mint 21.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion and welcome to our community! :smiley:

1 Like