Zeitgeist and activity manager

What is zeitgeist and it’s “activity log manager”

“Zeitgeist is a service which logs the user’s activities and events (files opened, websites visited, conversations held with other people, etc.) and makes the relevant information available to other applications.”

I had a hard time removing this whatever it is and why do we need to log and monitor all of my activity in 18.04?? Why is this proprietary software needed??? Why is it installed automatically?
This says “free” before install then it becomes proprietary after install. I only found out after I removed it.
Call me paranoid but there is something about this apt and 18.04 that makes me suspicious.
18.04 seems too controlling. All defaults are invasive potential ridden with who knows what.
Has the op system been compromised?
Can anyone comment on why Torvalds took a vacation due to “ethics” issues?
I’m sure I won’t get many answers to these unorthodox questions.
Please someone who knows better than me…resolve my suspicions.
With all that’s happened to the internet since 911 where is the discussion on “how safe from NSA and CIA is Linux”??

i don’t know if it will help at all, but this askubuntu question is from 2012 so zeitgeist isn’t something just added to 18.04. i hadn’t heard of it before your post and i’m no expert in any way, shape or form, but as far as i know all operating systems keep logs. that is just part of what they do in my experience.

i’m not saying that is right, wrong or in between. i doubt you’ll find one that doesn’t do so (tails maybe? tinfoil hat linux?). as far as i know it is done mostly to help with diagnostics. i keep one terminal open with lnav showing my syslog at all times just because i like to see how things work.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. It was very useful. I read the comments and the linked articles. I am a bit assured by the fact this is not a new issue…even if it is for me.

I am familiar with logging files that record internal activity as a process related to internal systems needs. But those are necessary for the machine to function. Any logging for external activity has always been a sensitive user defined process. Not an automatic process that the user has to then navigate thru removing or may not even be aware it’s occurring.

Here is the description:

Zeitgeist is a service which logs the user’s activities and events (files
opened, websites visited, conversations held with other people, etc.) and
makes the relevant information available to other applications.
It serves as a comprehensive activity log and also makes it possible to
determine relationships between items based on usage patterns.

How many Linux users know that zeitgeist is monitoring everything you do and where you go. Or that there are "plugins’ to make it more effective for internet sites. Most users know that the browser they use is collecting their info and most have an opportunity to change the settings because they know they exist.

After reading the interview with the creator of the software I thought… Sounds like a pitch for zeitgeist.

So, if zeitgeist isn’t necessary will my op system perform as expected?
My question is still why do we need this? If it’s really optional then make it an add-on NOT a default install.

And maybe I’m missing something but I thought Linux was open source. Why are proprietary system logging apps pre-installed on open source systems? or is that another can of worms?