ZFS finally up to date in Debian & Ubuntu

Because of this:

I found this:

Nice to see this addressed here as well. Ironic to the first link, just yesterday I upgraded my ZFS version to the very latest version by using Debian Bullseye’s respective repository on my NextcloudPi, because I wanted to try out the relatively new (at least for non-Solaris users) encryption feature that has been added to ZFSonLinux. There was a bug in the versions 7+, so I upgraded to 0.8.2-2 and it works flawlessly now.

I recommend ZFS to anyone who seriously is interested in a very well done and wholesome storage solution. Once you have ZFS, you pretty much have all the features available that you could need for your storage. It offers so many options…
I think, once you go ZFS, you never go back. At least that’s the case for me. All my storage is entirely based on ZFS. The only stuff I don’t use ZFS for are the root file systems, that are not made for storage, but only for boot, apps, etc.

4 Likes

Love ZFS - been using it on Solaris 10+ years, managed Sun/Oracle ZFS Filer appliances (kinda prefer them to NetApp) - and on my FreeNAS home NAS nearly 10 years…

x@baphomet  ~  zpool status
  pool: BARGEARSE
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 05:16:33 with 0 errors on Sun Oct  6 05:16:35 2019
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	BARGEARSE                                       ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/c4f70c63-044f-11e9-b5c1-441ea13dfb0c  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/c6bf3902-044f-11e9-b5c1-441ea13dfb0c  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/c8c921c1-044f-11e9-b5c1-441ea13dfb0c  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/ca979ae2-044f-11e9-b5c1-441ea13dfb0c  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

pool: freenas-boot
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:00:05 with 0 errors on Thu Oct 10 03:45:06 2019
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0
	  ada4p2    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

I reckon I’m about ready to commit to ZFS on my next Linux build (will probably be Ubuntu 19.10 or 20.04) - dunno if I’ll go encryption or not… I’m a bit reluctant now to rebuild any of my systems, 'cause I can’t connect any more to my Dropbox account… Hopefully by April 2020 when 20.04 drops, I’ll be fully migrated off Dropbox onto MegaSync…

3 Likes

Best choice. After all these services and all these years I ended up with MEGA and my own zpools. That’s all. I don’t know any other 3rd party service that is even remotely close to how good MEGA is.

1 Like

Zfs is excellent system files, despite needs large amount ram ( 8 Gb+ )
Linux also have good system files such : Ext4, ReiserFS among others :grinning:

What do you mean by “needs”? I have ZFS all over my Raspberry Pis with each 1GB RAM and everything works fine.

1 Like

The Raspberry Pi uses the exact same version, except it is compiled for armhf.

1 Like