Ad blocking quandary

OK - searched - didn’t find anything similar to my issue… Discourse is suggesting its similar to “Looking for ad block options for any Linux distro” - but when I attempt to necropost resurrect that topic it instead suggests I start a new topic : DISCOURSE MAKE UP YOUR F–KING MIND!

This is more of a general whine or sook about some first world problem bothering me…

I’m using Pi-Hole to block ads… it’s not perfect… but it seems okay… running day after day, since forever, on my RPi4B with 4 GB RAM… but that boot image actually started life as Raspbian Buster arm64 on my Pi3B, I then DD’d that SD-Card image onto an external USB 3 SSD and I boot the Pi4 off that (it also runs my OpenVPN server, and is my jumpbox to my internal network from the outside).

So - I’m now slowly migrating back to Google Chrome as my default browser after using Brave for the last ~12 months or so - I NEVER want to be “beholden” to Brave, I’ve got too much “invested” in it to be comfortable, e.g. cached keyrings and all that stuff… Yeah - I know - I’m also beholden to Google, but I kinda know how that works… it uses my Gmail account to sync my stuff (I also pay Google $2.50 a month for extra storage) - I kinda know how that works, I have NO IDEA how Brave’s sync works, who, or what, is the middle man, the broker?

Anyway - I’m trying to watch SBS On Demand in Google Chrome, along with the ABC, the only worthwhile TV station network in Australia… But - I can’t play ANY content in Google Chrome, while my Linux box points at my Pi-Hole for my DNS server… IT (the error) points at having an ad-blocker being the likely cause, and I’ve confirmed this - video does play when I use my DHCP lease’s DNS offerings (which point at google’s 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) - I can watch SBS video content in Google Chrome…

MS Edge behaves IDENTICAL to Google Chrome, i.e. if using Pi-Hole as my DNS, cannot play SBS content in MS Edge.

I’ve tried adding a whole swathe / bunch of things into my pi-hole whitelist, to no effect.

But: whether I’m using Pi-Hole, or not, as my DNS provider makes ABSOLUTELY no difference in Brave, none, and, it blocks the actual ads too!

So - going to be doing this probably :

Google Chrome : for most of my “stuff” - e.g. Gmail, Social Media, ABC iView, Netflix, AppleTV+…

Brave : for Youtube and SBS On Demand, so I doln’t get ads in my face…

Microsoft Edge : work stuff - got it sync’d to my new employer’s infrastructure…

And - probably not Firefox, but who knows - I might break it out from time to time… I do use TOR however, from time to time… Been using Firefox recently for some work related stuff in a Red Hat 7 VM… Firefox is still my goto first off browser on a new desktop install… kinda like the meme where IE users only use it to download google chrome, I mostly only use Firefox to download Google Chrome, or Brave…

1 Like