Best Web Browser for Linux Users In 2019

I’m aware that there was a previous discussion for the same here: What is your favourite browser and why

Didn’t want a duplicate discussion - However, a lot of things have changed now. So, I just wanted to see what browser do you think is the best one right now (subjective of course - so feel free to explain yourself).

2 Likes

Vivaldi - customizable

3 Likes

Maybe you can put 2019 in the title, so there can be a new thread for every year.

I am still using Firefox. It improves and serves my needs on Linux and non-Linux operating systems.

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, edited :slight_smile:

1 Like

Switched back to Firefox a few months ago and I love it more than ever. Best browser for my needs.

6 Likes

Thanks TrekJunky! I’m going to try this one.

4 Likes

Firefox on Arch and Brave On Mint.

3 Likes

Best based on what?
What is the best truck? In my case a 97 Toyota T100 that my family has owned since 99, has few electronics to break down, has had only a single part wear out, gets reasonable enough gas mileage to drive it daily. My point is, best really means nothing.

I do not think there are that many things that have changed since the original post in the field as a whole.

I still use Firefox based on these reasons: Chrome while great for development started to have memory and security issues for development. When Firefox was able to easily handle multiple email sessions I moved to them. I have no windows installs any longer, I have KDE, Kubunt, Ubuntu 16, Ubuntu 19 installed over 8 units and can share thru sync data, logins and with a little help from OneTab and a script, use my current tabs on other units when working.

6 Likes

I’ve now switched from Firefox to Vivaldi! Thanks again!

2 Likes

Is there any other browser in this world than Firefox?
FF 71.0 is even more awesome if you are aware of privacy and tracking issues…

4 Likes

I love Firefox! But Skype Online is not compatible. Got to switch to Vivaldi for that :wink:

1 Like

On Windows I used Firefox since the early beta days when it was called Firebird I think. However, on Linux Mint it seems slow. I’ve tried a bunch of browsers, but settled on Chromium as my favorite. I can watch YouTube videos all day long without a single commercial. I have a bunch of plugins installed to fill my passwords, auto refresh tabs, block ads of course, take notes, etc… It’s fast, clean, Open Source, and it just works everywhere except Netflix and MyDish. For those I use Google Chrome. They use the same online account, so anything I add to one gets added to the other and synced across my Desktop and 3 laptops. I was using Iridium, as it’s based on Chromium, uses the same synchronized plugins and favorites, and I really like the enhanced security and privacy. However, they seem very slow to update it, which could pose a serious security risk. Chromium is a little more up to date, and updates via the normal Linux update. The delay here though is Canonical. But the same could be said of Firefox, and FF is much slower than Chromium in my experience. That could be just me though. In Windows I never had a problem with FF. Firefox and Chrome seem to leapfrog one another in the browser wars for the fastest. YouTube in Google Chrome is painful. You have to watch a commercial before what you want to watch can begin, then they keep interrupting with more commercials. I’ve been spoiled with Chromium!

3 Likes

I use Firefox because of its personal security settings. I even occasionally run Chrome but through Firefox. I use Linux Mint 19.1.

5 Likes

Personally, I’ve found little to no difference in performance between Chromuim, Chrome and FF. I’ve also found no issues with video playback (YT, Netflix, anything) or any websites in FF as some others have mentioned. I wonder if that has to do with region-locking or something like that?

FF is my go-to, but Chromium is my backup on Linux. I used to have issues with FF on Windows, but since after Quantum launched, I haven’t had a single issue since.

One thing’s for sure; there’s a browser (or 2) out there to suit everyone. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There is an issue that is not particularly related to that but it definitely is related to your location from where you (pretend) to browse from. If the website sees a European IP, then it will show you Cookie questions and GDPR compliant pop-ups telling you to accept this and that. Stuff like this of course slows down your browsing experience massively.

3 Likes

One of my husbandly duties is to call up the digital edition of our local paper and print my wife’s puzzles for the day, using, of course, the backs of the puzzles from yesterday. Chromium is the only browser that seems to display and print flawlessly for my purpose. I think the paper is digitized with Microsoft Edge as the target audience, so maybe the new cross-platform Edge would also work.

Past that specific function, Chromium works smoothly with all distros (currently Mint 19.2); using Click&Clean to wipe my history on closing and LastPass to hold all the password completes the basic useful browser package. At various times I use Firefox, Brave, Opera, Vivaldi, and Chrome–they’re all pretty good, like most distributions are all good–I just settled on Chrome to perform a task of local importance!

1 Like

Why Brave? That seems like it could be some kind of scam or something. Pay you to watch adds?

I think you must be mistaken. As I understand it, Brave is a fork of Chrome, but blocks trackers including Google’s. Not a scam at all.

2 Likes
4 Likes

i didn’t know much about brave previously. interesting article and take on alternative web monetization.

3 Likes