Bootable USB creator for Ubuntu

I used to have Rufus in Windows. Any tool which can create bootable USBs in 18.04 from ISO. Not just Ubuntu ISO. Other distros, Windows 10, Rescue DVD etc. Thanks.

1 Like

Have you tried Balena Etcher?

2 Likes

Second the Etcher recommendation. Use in regularly and it works great.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I saw it. But not sure how to use the AppImage version. Nothing on Ubuntu Store as well. Any safe PPA available ?

Here you’ll find the way to install it from .deb via ppa:

1 Like

For Windows-install-iso I’d recommend WoeUSB, in case Balena Etcher doesn’t work.

1 Like

Tried that and added an issue

Looks like an old bug.

I see this is a problem with the repository. I installed a while ago, and it went flawlessly that time, sorry you can’t pick it now. However, you still can download the .deb package, and the install it manually, like:
dpkg -i awsomeprogram.deb

1 Like

Can you tell me how ? I mean, where to get the deb file. Thanks.

1 Like

Sorry, seems I mislead you. Not just the repo is corrupt, the problem is with bintray:

@siucdude not yet, again we’re in constant touch with Bintray (the download provider) to get this solved ASAP.
In the meantime, please update/install through the release page
Locking down for now, we’ll update the issue as soon as this is solved. It’s a matter of communication unfortunately so we can’t give have an ETA on that

I try to lookup a .deb from my package archive.

I see. It is ok. I can wait. Thanks.

1 Like

Here I found it:

https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/releases/download/v1.5.79/balena-etcher-electron_1.5.79_amd64.deb

1 Like

With the appimage you simply download and place it in your home folder. right click on it and go to properties then to Permissions and make sure the check box is checked before Allow exicuting file as program. double click on it and it will run. If you want to put it into the menu you will have to do that manually. Good Luck.

1 Like

I’ll make it short to lessen the pain:

1. I have quite some experience with software like this. There is/was barely any software of this type that I did not try out.
  2. Rufus is like for example Greenshot one of those Windows-only things that don’t have an equal alternative on Linux, yet. There simply is no tool that comes even close to the genius that is put into programs like the ones mentioned.
    So unfortunately:
    There is no Rufus equivalent for Linux.

All the Linux tools, like Etcher, etc. work, but they don’t feature an astronomical amount of options that you can use in those mentioned Windows tools.

3 Likes

You can use DDCopy or Mintstick, both work very well
Otherwise Unetbootin is also good

1 Like

Have you tried the Universal USB Installer?

I find it works quite well and has various options.
Built in support for various flavors of Linux & others. It’s free and can be found at:

or

1 Like

Thanks. Do they have a home page ?

2 nd one is a .exe :slight_smile:

You should look into “MutiBootUSB”, allows you to load several iso’s onto a usb flash drive or card.
http://multibootusb.org/

2 Likes

Easy2Boot is another utility that lets you put multiple distros, even Windows, on a flash drive. But it’s complicated and I haven’t gotten it to work yet.

1 Like

Looks like, the etcher repository got back to its normal state. So it’s possible to install itt via apt again.

1 Like