Building a 8 bit CPU

Hello Every one I am looking forward to build a 8 bit CPU from scratch. But for that I need some of the parts that I am unable to source from the websites that I know. So could you please tell some websites that supply good quality electronic components at a reasonable price.

The components are listed below:
74LS00, 74LS02, 74LS08, 74LS32, 74LS107 or 74LS76, 74LS86, 74LS139, 74LS157, 74LS161, 74LS173, 74189(64 bit random access memory), 74LS245, 74 LS273, 74LS283, 28C16 EEPROM.

It will be of great help if anyone can inform me of the online market place where I can find these components.

1 Like

I would search on Ebay

or whatever it is in your country
That would be the best way to find a good price.

3 Likes

I am from India and I searched some of the websites but there I am unable to source all the required electronics.

Do you not have Ebay in India?
I was only suggesting that you use Ebay to find sources

1 Like

Yes we have Ebay in India. I have see there too the price is too high. The price of the components in websites in India ranges from $0.15 to $0.20 only. It is way cheaper if I take into consideration the number of these components I will need.

And anyway thank you sir you are the only one to reply to my queries I am very grateful to you. And could you suggest some other communities where I can get such kind of discussions and support.

2 Likes

Yes it is a bit out of our area.
Try searching google for ā€˜electronics forumā€™
Regards
Neville

2 Likes

@Arghadeep_Saha, :wave:

Hi, I donĀ“t know whether itĀ“s any help at all but I just issued a search with BingChat on that topic.

I think IĀ“ll just post the entire conversation here. :blush:
HereĀ“s what it came up with:

me: Hi BingChat. ItĀ“s Rosika again.

BingChat: Hello Rosika. Welcome back. :blush:

me: Thanks. IĀ“m asking on behalf of a friend of mine: ā€œCould could you please tell some websites that supply good quality electronic components at a reasonable price in Indiaā€?

BingChat: Sure, I can help you with that. There are many websites that supply electronic components in India. Some of them are:

• ElectronicsComp.comĀ¹: This is an online store that sells Arduino, IC, microcontroller, motor, robotic and other components. They offer maximum discount on all products and free shipping on orders above ā‚¹999.
  • Campus ComponentĀ²: This is a distributor of electronic components from renowned and trusted brands. They offer high quality solutions and end-to-end production support to your business. They also support start-up ventures and educator programs through product development and training.
  • element14 IndiaĀ³: This is a part of the Premier Farnell Group, a global distributor of electronic components and services. They have over 650,000 products available for same-day shipping and 900 new products added every week. They also have a market-leading community of over 800,000 engineers online.
  • DigiKey Electronics Indiaā“: This is another global distributor of electronic components and services. They have a wide range of products in automation, control, networking, power, semiconductors, test and measurement tools. They also have a tech forum where you can ask questions and get answers from experts.

I hope this helps your friend find what they are looking for. :blush:

Source: Conversation with Bing, 5/4/2023
(1) Buy Electronics Components Online in India - Electronic Components Store. https://www.electronicscomp.com/.
(2) Best Electronic Components Distributor in India | Campus Component. https://www.campuscomponent.com/.
(3) element14 India | Electronic Components Distributor | Premier Farnell Group. https://in.element14.com/.
(4) DigiKey Electronics India - Electronic Components Distributor. https://www.digikey.in/.

me: Thanks a lot. IĀ“ll forward the results to my friend. Many greetings from Rosika. Goodbye.

BingChat: Youā€™re very welcome. Iā€™m glad I could help. Have a nice day, Rosika. Goodbye. :blush:

Hope it helps a bit.

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank You. for your help I will surely go through these sites.

2 Likes

YouĀ“re very welcome.

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

Pardon my ignorance, why on earth would you want 64 bit memory for an 8 bit computer/CPU, the address space for 8 bits is only 64k - the address space for 64 bit memory is about 18 quintillion bits (divide that by 8 then by 1024 to get kb I think ? Iā€™m probably wrong)ā€¦ side note : most 64 bit computers donā€™t actually use the full 64 bit address space, most only use 48 bits of thatā€¦

Did you in fact mean an 8 MB RAM computer? By CPU did actually mean like an ATX case (e.g. a tower or desktop) hosting a motherboard and a CPU and peripherals?

4 Likes

I think it is a total of 64 bits of memoryā€¦ 16 x 4bit words

3 Likes

Maybe you could try Aliexpress?

etcā€¦ etcā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s literally 64 bit :rofl:

Itā€™s not the address bus 64 bit wide, it stores 64 bit (8 byte) data.
Probably for for implementing CPU registersā€¦

Edit: sorry, @nevj already spotted thisā€¦
I read too slowā€¦ :smiley:

3 Likes

Sorry bro but Iā€™m actually following a guided tutorial and there was all the parts list. So I shared this list here cause I was unable to source these components.

And side by side I have a bad habit, that things donā€™t particularly stay in my mind unless I have build a practical model or build a working prototype of it. Thatā€™s why I didnā€™t cross checked any of the components, this would have given me more confusion.

And thank you for identifying my mistake.

1 Like

Relax @Arghadeep_Saha ,
It is not really a mistake. We just misread it.
Good luck with your parts search
Neville

1 Like

Thank You all for your help I was finally able to locate all the components required for the project.

4 Likes

Let us know how the build goes. People are interested in hardware projects

4 Likes

Can I be really ignorant and ask what you are trying to build ?
Are you putting them on an existing board or making that yourself
This does not help your search itā€™s just from an interesting point of view as was pointed out generally we love projects that are different

3 Likes

I am trying to make a 8 bit CPU on a breadboard to further strengthen by understanding about CPU and how different part of the CPU work.

3 Likes