Can anyone recommend a Arch distro with a GUI installed by default?

Like the subject says “Can anyone recommend an Arch distro with a GUI installed by default” ?
With a live version preferred.

What’s the point of using Arch, when it isn’t used the way it is supposed to be used? Customised by the user, on first installation.

Having said that, did you check out Manjaro?

1 Like

I’m a novice at Linux, that’s why I asked, using the cmd etc. to install whatever I’m not up too… I will check out Manjaro.

Then you should try out Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

3 Likes

Maybe Manjaro.
Perhaps you might have a look here:

https://distrowatch.com/

You can always use other Arch based distributions:

2 Likes

I can recommend the arch based garuda. I use it on my new slimbook. It has a lot of flavours and you install from a live disk. See on https://garudalinux.org/
It was my first arch based distro after years on rpm or deb based

100% Agree with you @jhansen63
Garuda is just AWESOME
It has lots of flavours ( In simple words: Different kinds of looks and abilities to customize )

Thank You!!

I’M novice too however I have seen YouTube videos that claim manjaro is the easiest of the Arch distros, in general Arch is best left to more experienced users that are comfortable with customization and troubleshooting. It maybe in your best interest to earn your stripes with a more stable distro before moving on to Arch.

1 Like

Exactly, better start with Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

1 Like

I’m using Manjaro for gaming on, it comes with everything you possibly need, well Steam wise anyway.
XFCE is my environment of choice, but with Manjaro you also get KDE Plazma, Mate, Gnome, Cinnamon, Budgie, Deepin. Manjaro Official Downloads
Manjaro Community Downloads

It’s quite hard to know what to suggest, as Manjaro especially has made it easier for new Linux users to start on, but with the technical part of making your own Arch from scratch for beginners, yes start on a Ubuntu based system first, then once experienced with terminal commands or coding then move onto Arch.

My first, and currently only one, experience with Arch was Manjaro (I’m using both the GNOME and the KDE version). I do recommend that :slight_smile:

It’s not my daily driver (which is still Ubuntu and Kubuntu) but it’s close to!

1 Like

What some of my other esteemed peers recommended previously in this thread : Manjaro…

Interestingly, even though the Steam Deck portable gaming console runs Valve’s ‘own’ Arch - Valve recommend Manjaro as the closest thing to their Steam Deck (And I’m still pissed off it’s NOT available in my shitty country, where we’re also still waiting for f–king Google Stadia! That’s mostly thanks to our “state of the art” hybrid 19th century broadband network).

If I knew how to get my work’s VPN client working in arch or manjaro I’d be tempted to give it a whirl… But probably more Manjaro, than arch…

But for me personally, I’d still prefer to entrust my compute to DEB or RPM based distros, 'cause that’s what I manage for my job… I’ve yet to see an arch / aur based distro running a production workload for a corporate customer, and I wouldn’t go holding my breath to see that happen.

If I wanted the kudos for running something as tricky as arch, I’d run Slackware, which is harder than arch and what I cut my teeth on 25+ years ago… I’ve had LFS and Gentoo users tell me that Slackware sits somewhere between Gentoo and Arch, on the level of difficulty.

I’m going to re-visit Manjaro … may try distrohopping again…

ZFS encrypted disk on my Ubuntu 20.04 Thinkpad E495 is a piece of crap - don’t seem to be able to alleviate the symptom where it turns into a zombie then comes back (which, by deduction and elimination, does seem to be ZFS related)…

Plan :

if [ "Install Manjaro latest in a virtbox VM, using LUKS full disk encryption, get Checkpoint\'s HIDEOUS SNX VPN client working" == success ] ; then
     exec "do it for real on this Stinkpad E495..." 
else
    exec wipe Ubuntu 20.04 on encrypted ZFS ; install ubuntu 20.04 on LUKS / ext4
fi
1 Like

I use Manjaro XFCE for gaming on and tried also Endeavour OS, as soon as I updated Endeavour OS after two weeks of using it, it griped saying it could not install all the updates, as running into conflicts. Installed same updates in Manjaro never griped once. Just goes to show Manjaro is tested and looked after better by their community.