Cleaning up linux system

Is there an equivalent to ccleaner or defrag on linux that you use ?

When I get a windows computer into my workshop its usually for virus issues, so scan with malwarebytes, superantispyware and adwcleaner. Problems solved very effective.

Then to try to speed up windows I run ccleaner, checking register’s, startup items etc.

Before ssd I would also if time allowed defrag the hard disk, anything to gain a few seconds. I dont perform that on ssd for obvious reasons.

I may also if possible install more memory, given its possible to open the box and there are spare memory sockets, many new systems this is no longer an option.

Hence -

Is there an equivalent to ccleaner or defrag on linux that you use ?

On occasions when linux falls on issues I will do the advanced start on mint and perhaps fsck plus package manager, but its very rare either is needed.

I try very hard to convince users linux is the answer and solution for them, but its a loosing battle, despite of them having android phones or cars with the linux automotive solution they all think command line or difficult to use. They then buy windows 11 and hate it but its windows !

3 Likes

But dont use anything that comes from outside of your distros package system

4 Likes

Stacer used to be a good choice but it has not seen a new release in the 5 years. You could still use it though.

Then there is BleachBit which is slightly advanced.

3 Likes

Not used any of these, like the look of ubuntu cleaner may give that a go

Second part is does anybody use or need them in linux ?

Never use them today. I have no idea if it would help. Linux and BSD seem to survive without such things today. Most distros do a regular fsck on the root filesystem, some at every boot, some at intervals. Some distros require manual cleaning out of old kernels. There used to be a need for cleaning out old logfiles (eg cat /dev/null > wtmp) but that need seems to have disappeared.
Android has a cleaning procedure in Settings.

3 Likes

Glad I asked, will leave well alone. It was just a comparison question that came up.

I had a linux user in last week who insisted on just turning off his linux box never shutting down correctly, despite me telling him. The end result was files not closing and so updates would not run had to file system check and repair the apt get before it would work

Found this one time about cleaning up / updating files for Mint.

Also asked kind of the same question here.

3 Likes

Could you at least get him to close apps and use sync before he hits the power switch?

1 Like

I always insist during the hand over of a linux box on that point, and have done 5 different installs for both him and his wife.

When the last one came in for that fault, he admitted he had never shut any computer from the menu, even windows. Always power button. Make no wonder others failed on him.

Try as I may dont think he listens, just keeps paying for the repairs as he is the expert !

3 Likes

As if by magic this item appeared in a leading on line site

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/kaspersky-releases-free-tool-that-scans-linux-for-known-threats/

Ok its more about virus scans than cleanup

Its not a tool that I use for the windows equivalent but still a well known and respected mark

3 Likes

Kaspersky is well known but also on the government ‘no fly’ list. Not sure if it’s truly safe or not. What can you put on the truly safe list though.

5 Likes

I agree Kaspersky is well known but I believe the owners are Russian, hence it would not normally be on my own list. Not being racist it more a question of security on my part, similar with Chinese software tools.

But more than happy to eat typical food of either nation.

4 Likes

I would suggest

• older versions of software are safer … fewer tricks years ago
  • things you write yourself are safer
  • commonly used OS’s are safer … more people check it out
  • country of origin may have something to do with it
  • open source is safer than proprietary software … more checks
  • software driven by a philosophy is safer … I should say a good philosophy
  • academics write safer software than real worlders
  • safe is a relative concept… truly safe is impossible, it is like infinity

I am amazed… no-one has disagreed with any point above.

5 Likes

When asked by clients how can they protect the system not get virus issues or be ripped off with any type of scam…

Switch the computer off and stop using it. Same for the phone.

There are thousands of carrier pigeons redundant looking for jobs or food.
Go back to the postal services and save electric

They think i am joking

If they did do that what would we find to do woth life

3 Likes

You mean separate computing from communication.
That is the way it used to be… mainframes did not talk to each other.

3 Likes

@callpaul.eu
I am using ubuntu-cleaner on my Ubuntu 22.04 install!!! It was useful for cleaning old kernels!!!
One of the best tools, I have found and use, is a Surf Shark VPN, no, it is not free, but it will mask one’s ip.

4 Likes

But then mainframes needed to pass data so we could talk, in the uk we had JANET to allow emails between the universities

Then we needed BACS and SWIFT for money transfers

The highway robbers have changed, no longer stand and deliver, your money or your life, more virus, spyware and the like.

I can think of nothing more interesting than looking at my bank account at 4 in the morning, helps me sleep, counting the pennies instead of sheep !

On that subject do you still look after sheep ?
Are you really doing short back and sides on that one in your picture ?

So I only know one sheep joke…
How do you know how many sheep you have
Count the feet and divide by 4
Helps you sleep ?
Ha ha ha

3 Likes

I looked at surkshark and the linux info page, it talks about vpn connection but nothing on cleaning your system. At this stage no use for vpn although i have several clients who use if to watch foreign tv channels, we dont use our tv.

Have yet to install the ubuntu cleaner its still on my list for my machine to test.

I do like to keep older kernel around just in case as have had to go back in time, nit often but one day may be more important

We closed our sheep business, but we still keep about 30 sheep just to keep the grass short. I shear them myself still. It is good exercise.

3 Likes

I use Surf Shark mostly with W11 but have the app installed in Ubuntu.