Command for using lxterminal with certain parameters

Hi all, :wave:

does anybody of you use lxterminal?

I´ve got a question referring to the usage a certain font - but not on a permanent basis.
So I don´t want to change the default settings, just open a new lxterminal instance with certain parameters. :blush:

I´ve found a solution for my “problem” for xterm here: xterm — Linux Foundation Forums .

The command
xterm -geometry 142x50+20-50 -fa Monospace -fs 12
opens up xterm with a certain size on a certain position with a certain font and font size.

-geometry width x height +/- xoffset +/- yoffset

That´s exactly what I´m looking for in lxterminal.

I was looking around a bit but couldn´t find a solution. :slightly_frowning_face:

Does anybody know if that´s even possible with lxterminal? :thinking:

Many thanks in advance and many greetings from
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/other/how-to-have-default-terminal-open-at-specific-size-and-location/

https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/en/man1/lxterminal.1.html

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162370

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=485377

From what I’ve read in the links above, it seems like lxterminal itself doesn’t have a lot to offer. However, it has a configuration file, which can be adjusted.

There is also a way to use other tools to deal with lxterminal as a workaround.

Though, it still seems apparent, that lxterminal is just not meant to be as customisable as xterm, for example.

1 Like

I’ve never used lxterminal, but I’m a bit curious: Is there any specific reason why you use this particular terminal emulation?

I understand, it’s very lightweight, but as far as I know, there’s hardly any terminal emulator which will cause a system load even worth mentioning.

However, when I started to use KDE, many years ago, I continued to use crappy looking xterm-windows instead of konsole for a long time, because I’m not good at changing habits.

3 Likes

Hi @Akito, :wave:

thank you very much for your help once more. :+1:
You certainly put a lot if time and effort in doing so much research on my behalf. Your help is highly appreciated. :hearts:

I looked at the links you provided and read through the most of what is said there (still have to do some reading though).

The workaround with devilspie

you could try using devilspie to specify the position.

mentioned by user don_crissti in your first link might be a solution.
I´ve never heard of devilspie so far but I´ll have a look at it.

Yes, that was my impression, too, when looking through the man-pages.
Well, at least I can define the size of the terminal window by using the --geometry option.

In the meantime I think I can make do with the command

lxterminal --geometry=130x50

then hitting CTRL+ Plus-Key two times. This actually gives me what I want.
I just have to shift the window into the right position (therefore my original question). :blush:

But - as I said - perhaps I´ll take a look at devilspie…

Many thanks again @Akito for your very kind help.

Many greetings.

1 Like

Hi @Mina, :wave:

how nice to hear from you again. :hearts:

Hmm, that´s a good question.

I´ve been a Lubuntu user for a long time and lxterminal used to be the default terminal when Lubuntu was using the LXDE DE.
So perhaps a bit of nostalgia… :blush:

Another reason is: I need at least one other terminal than the default one (here on LXQt DE) which is qterminal.

I noticed that qterminal seems to remember the last size it was used with. So when I alter the size and close the window the next instance of qterminal opens with the one which it was last used with. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I think xterm is also installed by default with Lubuntu, so I had that one available.
Plus: it´s very good and meets all my demands - except of the fact that it doesn´t seem to support multiple tabs.

So it´s not so much a question of lightweight; I was just looking for some convenience… :blush: .

Thanks for your comments.
Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For some terminals you can change this behaviour (e.g. Konsole):

1 Like

Hi Mina, :+1:

well, I´ll be blessed. To my shame I have to admit it never occurred to me to have a look at the settings. :blush:
So I did it now (for qterminal):

And you´re perfectly right:

The default settings are that position and size of the terminal window is saved.
Uff, I can change that now. :laughing:
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. :hearts:

Yet, apart from this it´s convenient to have at least one other terminal app available.
My qterminal is displayed in ubuntu-brown, the others (lxterminal and xterm) are in black.
That´s good for me, as they are thus easily distinguishable for different purposes.

Many thanks for your help, Mina.

And many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Okay, I don’t know why, but I was under the impression you specifically wanted to temporarily change your configuration from the command line, only, without using any GUI settings. I think, I thought so, because usually you make your own scripts and other CLI stuff. :wink:

2 Likes

P.S.:

On Any alternative to XTerm with splitting and tabs? - Ask Ubuntu
I stumbled upon in interesting comment which would - theoretically - make xterm work with tabs despite the fact that this is not natively supported:

Apparently the installation of suckless-tools is needed for that:

Do sudo apt-get install suckless-tools, then run this command to have a tabbed xterm:

tabbed -c xterm -into &

Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open a new tab and Ctrl+Q to close a tab. You’ll find more info in the man page for tabbed.

apt-cache show suckless-tools says:

[…]
This package provides simple commands designed to be used with a minimalistic
window manager like dwm but they can be useful in scripts regardless of the
window manager used.

• dmenu: Dynamic menu is a generic menu for X.
  • lsw: Lists the titles of all running X windows to stdout, similar to ls(1).
  • slock: Simple X display locker that locks the X session.
  • sprop: Sets or gets X window properties.
  • sselp: Simple X selection printer that prints the X selection to stdout.
  • ssid: Simple setsid replacement.
  • swarp: Simple X warping tool to warp the mouse pointer to a given position.
  • tabbed: Simple generic tabbed fronted to xembed aware applications.
  • wmname: Prints/sets the window manager name property of the root
    window similar to how hostname(1) behaves.
  • xssstate: Retrieves the state of X screensaver.

Might be interesting to test it. :blush:
Many greetings

Yes, @Akito, you´re right.

The command

xterm -geometry 142x50+20-50 -fa Monospace -fs 12

I use for firing up an xterm-window whenever I want to use w3m as a browser.
I have to be aware of my data consumption, so w3m is splendid for me in many cases.

And I was looking for a command to do the same with lxterminal as this one does support tabs.
Tabs are pretty handy for issuing further commands without having to open up another terminal window. :wink:

Sorry if I added to some confusion here. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Many greetings.

1 Like

No doubt, I use them a lot. However, you can always hit Ctrl-Z to suspend a program, issue bg to send it into the background, do some other stuff and get back to your previously running program with fg.

3 Likes

Dear @Mina, :wave:

thanks a lot. :hearts:

That´s excellent.
I´ve heard and known about foreground and background processes but I´ve never used the commands to deal with them so far.

I just issued the command

firejail --private=/media/rosika/f14a27c2-0b49-4607-94ea-2e56bbf76fe1/DATEN-PARTITION/Dokumente/work2 w3m "https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes"

within xterm and w3m displayed the respective site.

With Ctrl-Z I suspended the programme, like you suggested. It worked fine.

jobs told me:

Job     Gruppe  CPU     Status  Befehl
1       29442   0%      gestoppt        firejail --private=/media/rosika/f14a27c2-0b49-4607-94ea-2e56bbf76fe1/DATEN-PARTITION/Dokumente/work2 w3m "https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes"

That´s also clear so far. :smiley:

fg gave me w3m back. Really fine.

The only thing I don´t understand: When would I need bg :question:

Many greetings.

Hi, Bob.

Say, you’re running a terminal program, a shell script or a Perl or Python program, that is running for a while, but you’re not depending on the output, or a common program, say kate or kdenlive, you can start it with

$> mycommand & (followed by the & sign)

Then it will run in the background, not blocking your terminal. If you didn’t do that and just hit Ctrl-Z the program will be suspended (not running), whilst if you issue bg afterwards, it will continue to run, but not showing its output.

1 Like

Probably, you’re right. Who needs that stuff any more? I’m pretty sure, besides me, @daniel.m.tripp and @kovacslt are still aware of these shell essentials, but very few other people.

2 Likes

Actually I was aware of the & ending, but never used ctrl-Z and fg / bg.
I usually know that I will need to exit a terminal but leaving the long job running; for example if I start my backup script manually on my server. In that case I use
screen
Entering
screen command
launches command, but in a new screen on the terminal. I can detach with ‘ctrl-A’ then ‘D’, reattach with screen -r
or
screen -r <identifier>
if there are more sessions open.
While in screen, I can start a new one with ‘ctrl-A’ then ‘C’, and switch to the next one with ‘ctrl-A’ then ‘N’.
I find this very much comfortable on remote terminals.

2 Likes

Sound like what I do with tmux. Except, the CTRL+A is actually CTRL+B in tmux. However, the following letters are the same in tmux.

3 Likes

This is something I never used. I was aware of the existence of the screen command, but never got into a situation where I had to use it, the reason being that I always had the possibility of X-forwarding, so opening a new terminal window was never an issue.

Once my internet connection went down while I was ssh connected to a server, and the running script was killed. I had to start over later :slight_smile:
I learned then screen, and use it since then. :wink:

1 Like

This tool deals with such situations, as well.

3 Likes