Create USB image of an installed OS

Hi. My first post here, glad to find this community.

So, I am thinking if it is possible to create a USB drive which captures the image of an installed OS. In other words, I have a Kubuntu which has some apps in it with certain settings and I would like this to be burned in a USB drive ‘as it is’; so that when I install it–using the same USB drive–in a different PC/laptop, all my programs and (if possible) files appear with their respective settings/config on that new machine. I know this can be done in Windows (Ghosting) and shouldn’t be too hard for Linux/Kubuntu either, I guess.

Is it possible to do so? If yes, please suggest a noob friendly method.

Stay safe.

Thanks,
Rohit

Sounds like cloning.

https://clonezilla.org/

However, this won’t always work without issues, because different machines have different stuff and when you save, for example, network settings then they probably won’t be correct for a different machine.

The safest way I would suggest for you is to create a good ol’ backup.

See Q5:

If you create a plain old backup, you can select what’s backed up, etc. Usually, it’s enough to save to your home folder. Sometimes you can even add /etc and similar. However, as previously mentioned, it’s important to not restore too much, when settings simply won’t match in a different environment.

If you, however, want to create a persistent Live USB Stick, i.e. a stateful OS put onto a portable storage medium, then you can do something as written in the following article.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/

Thank you for such a fast and clear response.

Yes, it must be called cloning – if I knew that term, wouldn’t have created this post (would have right away searched for it, just like I did after reading your reply, plenty of posts on cloning).

Thanks again. My machines are generally of low config and I am more bothered about correct apps and files, not so much about network settings. This is meant for home use only, and not …say, preparing an entire office of 100-200 machines, so I should be good with this.

Thx again.

1 Like

That’s not what I meant. I meant, that, for example, the original machine uses a Wi-Fi connection, while the next uses ethernet, only. So, if you would copy that configuration to the other machine, it could lead to internet-lessness on the new machine, except you specifically change the configuration, after backup restoration.

Yes, I undertood that. Makes sense. So those things would have to be done manually, which is fine.