Debian is, to put it simple: a reliable workhorse

I used Debian 10 beside my home server and VPS on my desktop and laptop as well, every day for the last 2 years (approximately).
Additionally, my family members used it too on their machines.
We had to do some customizations before putting it to our every-day usage, we needed to install couple dozen packages, which were not installed by default, but needed them, and remove some packages which were installed, but did not want to have, also modified some configurations to fit our needs.
Approx. the first week after we moved to Debian spent with these kinda “customization”. Since then, there were zero problems.
My sons laptop was rebooted only upon kernel updates, sometimes after more than 60 days uptime. My home server was shut down couple times because of power outage, but otherwise restarted only upon kernel updates. My VPS had zero downtime…
My laptop got now Debian 11 (MATE). I like some of it’s new features, MATE’s window preview on taskbar is cool, I think, but the ability to delay the startup programs is a feature I missed already…
I believe other DE had this feature for a long time?

I had to rethink the configuration of Samba.
I removed usbguard as quick as possible :smiley:
Otherwise at first glance I like Bullseye, but my desktop still runs on Buster. I’m not something “early adopter” on my desktop…

2 Likes

Same here. I recently discovered that my Debian run VPS literally NEVER restarted since I bought it. No joke. I’m proud of my little VPS baby. :laughing:

1 Like

I had an NTC CHIP (single core ARM with 0.5 GB RAM 4GB NAND storage) running Debian Jessie with a LiPo battery few years back that had nearly 2 years uptime… Rock solid reliable…

But I prefer more “cutting” edge stuff, hence why I run Ubuntu, and will be slowly migrating to 21.10 next month, then 22.04 LTS in April next year…

If you want rock solid reliability and maybe 3 year lifecycle, without all the shiny bling : Debian…

If you want a longer “LTS” lifecycle, e.g. 5-8 yeas, and some of the shiny bells n whistles (and a shitload of shits n giggles maybe) - then maybe Ubuntu server? I prefer it to any offerings from Red Hat or “EL family” (RPM distros like Fedora, Oracle, CentOS [dead soon anyway]).

One of my customers is still running some Debian 3.0!!! Yeah!!! I hate it… it’s just laziness on their part not porting their “bespoke” piece of shit app to a later release (or even spending any time to figure out if it will run on something else!)… but it’s reasonably reliable, still, I guess… no security updates of course!

I always say “horses for courses”…

3 Likes