Disable Mouse Wheel Scrolling

Hi.

My mouse is old and malfunctions often. But except scrolling, it is good.

I did install input remapper to reset some clicking (see attached), but can someone tell me the exact script/command/keywords to completely disable mouse scrolling (both up and down scrolls):

My system:

Ubuntu 22.04

uname -rsm
Linux 5.15.0-52-lowlatency x86_64

Best,
Rohit

I would solve this with the few dollars/euros a new mouse costs.

2 Likes

Well… :neutral_face: Ok. Not the solution I was looking for…

I would listen to @berninghausen
Your mouse is on it’s way to death…
But Christmas is coming up, maybe it’s time to write a letter to Santa!

I, too, am a tightwad, and frugal, and tighter than the skin on a pickle. But I no longer do my own brake or exhaust work, or tuneups. Sometimes spending the money is the most reasonable choice. Seasons greetings!

2 Likes

How is it possible??
Happy Holydays!

@shamu @berninghausen Well, thank you for replying.

Seasons greetings.

Best,
Rohit

Alright, found a way to do this; it is more of a workaround.

I used the mouse scripts from link:input-remapper/macros.md at main · sezanzeb/input-remapper · GitHub
and changed the speed to 0, for both up and down. No more buggy automatic scrolling!

1 Like

Indeed ,for a few dollars/euros you can buy a wireless mouse with integral Li-Ion battery which can be charged through a micro-USB socket…
It has its own 2.4GHz dongle or can be accessed via Bluetooth.
Banggood and Aliexpress are your friends .

Frank (wicklowham) in County Wicklow , Rep. of Ireland

1 Like

pardon me for mentioning the obvious - why not just “don’t roll the wheel” ??? - sure that’s even easier than wowser messages of “just say no” (think Nancy Reagan in the 1980’s)…

1 Like

@daniel.m.tripp

[quote=“daniel.m.tripp, post:10, topic:9891”]
why not just “don’t roll the wheel” ??? -
[/quote
Maybe it’s not possible with a malfunctional mouse. What is “automatic scrolling” anyway?
Poor Nancy, she meant well… we all make mistakes…people just don’t listen…

pardon me for mentioning the obvious - why not just “don’t roll the wheel” ??? - sure that’s even easier than wowser messages of “just say no” (think Nancy Reagan in the 1980’s)…

Maybe it’s not possible with a malfunctional mouse. What is “automatic scrolling” anyway?Poor Nancy, she meant well… we all make mistakes…people just don’t listen…

Cos I use middle mouse button for left click (cos the left click doesn’t work either :stuck_out_tongue: )

“Height (depth…?) of poverty” – you may say…

@wicklowham
Black Castle appears to be a scenic place, but Wicklow mountains is where I would like to get lost; or maybe even write a short story about – with some paranormal/mystical/supernatural elements…

“strange lights in the sky, above the old Wicklow…” :alien:

Wow!!! It’s like driving a car with three wheels! Just how far is it gonna go?? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve unscrewed and cleaned the various contact/touch points using simple medical spirit solution multiple times. But I couldn’t save the left click still.

The keyboard still works flawlessly.

I’m a boring, old uncle and don’t like to change things frequently.

This wireless mouse+keyboard combo is 8+ yrs old. So, that means it took ~8 years for the left click button to die. Middle click button is only now being used more frequently and I expect it to last at least 5 years. Let us see. :smiley:

Rohit, you may have mule syndrome. Bin the sucker and buy a new one.

1 Like

Now that is a true love affair between an old mouse and its loyal owner!

2 Likes

Like…what is mule syndrome? Is it a real disease? Are you referring to this?

Alright @shamu , the thing stopped working completely earlier today! You cursed it, I blame you! GRRRR!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

[Also, a small correction: I just checked again – I bought this in Jun-2013; so, in a few months, this would have been 10 yrs old!]

It seems I will have a buy a new mouse keyboard combo after all. But hey! I can still use the wireless keyboard in the spare laptop I’m using for home theatre [that way, with only space bar and arrow keys being used–just for play/pause and volume up/down–the keyboard should easily last for 5 years] …hehe… :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I’m old fashioned. I want things to last for 20 years, at least! See the second comment (by one Jeffrey) in this timely WSJ article on LED bulbs.

I’m sooo very sorry! I did not! Honest to God! I wish I had the power but I don’t. Not even over my wife…

Why a combo? Keyboard stopped working too?? I feel so bad about it, I’m willing to send you a brand new mouse (not a combo) if you would kindly except it. Of course, I will have to get it first from amazon.com.
“I can still use the wireless keyboard”
I love it! You just never give up! I have a 12 year old Canon printer, it was going down, after a search, I got some infos, basically telling me that it was the end of its life. So I took the thing apart and fixed it. It took about 4 hours and I have no idea what I did but it still works after 4 years. Of course I was covered with ink all over my body, but it’s not the point.

I guess, we get screwed and lied no matter what. I have got used to it.
Please don’t cry too hard over loosing your old body. It is in heaven now. :sob: :crying_cat_face:

1 Like