Dropping Google? What are your (and my) options?

Oh my friend, unfortunately think that you make a mistake
when switch Chromium engines for Firefox Quantum.
I have issues with Html 5 FFQ in Youtube, videos not working…
although FFQ have full support for html 5.
For emails, google have best support.
For search engines try : https://www.qwant.com
this search engine have high privacy politics and is satisfactory. :100:

1 Like

Following the K-9 link, I find an Android app and nothing else. I know I’m getting old and feeble, but did I miss the Linux app?

1 Like

For the desktop you can use:

3 Likes

@Akito recommended the same program i use and would have suggested. it is quite full-featured and fairly easy to set up if i recall correctly :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would say it’s too expensive to maintain an email account and your option is just a cheapest plan and it doesn’t support a lot of things. why don’t you try another provider such as Mailfence. it’s much cheaper and has more features support for your work such as Calendar integration, Group and Chat.
https://mailfence.com/

1 Like

Firstly welcome to the community.
Many ISPs provide free email or premium email accounts as mine does, with great storage and security and with other things. I do use the Thunderbird client as it does add things and I am able to put all my accounts in the same place for free.

Recently I was looking around to see if I could get better and looked at what you have mentioned amongst many others and personally I could not see anything that as a Client Thunderbird didn’t. I also looked at other providers and they also weren’t as good a provider not as secure to be honest.
So not only is @Akito the cheapest, it is free which you can’t get cheaper and since the ISP will probably provide free as well I would say that was the best deal all round.
Oh and sticking with the original thread both mean you don’t need Google at all :grinning:

.Mailfence is the best option to replace Gmail in my opinion, it’s much safer, many options, you can use Mailfence as a free email service like Gmail (but much safer ) or you can upgrade it to a professional email that supports IMAP, POP3 and more.

Their SSL / TLS certificates do not include any U.S. certification authorities so that the US government cannot spy with us.

Their prices are also very affordable, 2.5 euros per month for the Pro package and 7.5 euros per month for businesses.

Mailfence offers more than just a secure email service, you can use Mailfence calendar instead of Google calendar, Mailfence document instead of Google document and Chat or create groups.

1 Like

If you are using Libre Office make sure to change the settings (not set automatically) to save previous versions otherwise expect them to disappear (for privacy reasons) if you accidentally overwrite a document & don’t have this set then you will lose all your work.(I learnt the hard way ) Libre Office is not exactly the same as Word,so be careful!

2 Likes

Evolution equals Thunderbird in email handling and accomodates the Google Calendar as well. For a multi-platform client, try Shift. When I’m trying distributions on my sandbox harddrive, I usually just use the Google webmail site rather than loading a client. Are there any opinions on Protonmail or Tutanota?

About what exactly?

Sorry to be unclear. Protonmail or Tutanota as a secure replacement for Google.

Is good.

1 Like

Thank you! Now I’ll go back to find replacements for Calendar, etc.

I recently set up Nextcloud and am very satisfied with it, so far. It replaces all major every day things like File storage, Calendar, Contacts, Notes, etc., etc… in a single suite of apps, all accessible in your browser. If you are looking for a total solution to all these things, I recommend this software.

2 Likes

it has been a while since this thread got any attention, but i learned about invidious the other day as a substitute for visiting youtube proper so i thought i would add it to the list of options. i haven’t used it a lot so can’t say how functional it is or is not, but so far it at least strips out the ads which is certainly preferable. on my phone i still use newpipe installed through f-droid which conveniently (if legally grey-ly) has a download option. when i was still visiting youtube, the enhancer for youtube firefox add-on was also kind enough to get rid of the ads as well as add some helpful functionality.

2 Likes

so much for that recommendation :disappointed: (from here)

Published August 1, 2020, tags: invidious

Starting September 1st, I’m shutting down the user-facing portion of https://invidio.us and stepping away from development. If you have an account on the site, you can export your data here, which will allow you to import everything to another instance or self-host.

1 Like

Thanks Binary @01101111 As I would not have picked up on this - what a sad read - respect.
I had been using yewtu.be but that link no longer works - drat :persevere:
So guess invidious.site may be used - ?

https://invidious.site/

Could we develop a consensus on this?

1 Like

interesting find. it hadn’t occurred to me to search for other instances to try out. the same shutdown post i linked above also says:

If you’re a patron on Liberapay, I would urge you to switch your donation to iv-org, as that will ensure it goes to the stewards of the project going forward.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have people that can manage the project in future

so it appears the project might still be actively maintained. that iv-org link in the quote above has a link to their github: GitHub - iv-org/invidious: Invidious is an alternative front-end to YouTube as well as a list of other instances: https://instances.invidio.us/. being able to see a relative location may help people decide on a particular instance.

i did notice that there hasn’t been a whole lot of recent activity noted on the github page, but then i don’t know how much would be expected.

1 Like

WOW, really WOW.
THAT is a GREAT post.
I will be referring to it a lot.

Since I first posted this post, I have been using Protonmail and ProtonVPN. They both work flawlessly. I now use Opera Browser as it seems to be fast, but I don’t know if it is a fork off of Google or not. Can someone tell me who owns Opera Browser?